1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wigner Eckart theorem / Electric dipole

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The eletric dipole of the atom D = qR is a vector op, ie transforms according to j = 1 rep of SU(2). Use wigner eckart theorem show

<1, 0, 0|D|1, 0, 0> = 0

(<n',l',m'|D|n, l, m> = 0

2. Relevant equations

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Chemistry/5-73Fall-2005/BEE27FD3-DE39-468F-B7B7-2EB89C58B89D/0/sec9.pdf [Broken]

Last equation on page 3, and that q + m = m' for the CG coefficients to be non zero

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so converting R to a spherical tensor T, T would be of rank 1 so k = 1, and q = -1, 0, 1. I'm incredibly confused as I've been reading from plenty of different sources. In my latest read I found that maybe q = -1, 0, 1 in the case where l = 1 and hence m = -1, 0, 1 (which they have labelled q), and so in the case where m = 0 (ie. here) then q = 0 only. But i'm relatively sure that its the former.

Anyway, for q = -1, 1, q + m = +-1 + 0 = hence for q = +-1, the CG coefficients are zero. But for q = 0, q + m = 0 + 0 = m' hence this should be a non zero coefficient? Then I tried to check the other requirement:
    |j - k| <= j' <= j + k

But I don't know what j'/j is? j is meant to be the total angular momentum right? We are told j = 1 in the problem, but then whats j'? or is j' =1? arghhhh!

Help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

EDIT:
    so, in some problems I see they've had j -> l, j' -> l'?

In that case,
    |0-1| <= 0 <= 1 => 1 <= 0 not true, so that they are all zero coefficients and no need to faff about with q+m = m'?

Ah, I should have mentioned this is a spinless atom. so j = l + s right? and since l = 0, j = j' = 0, and hence its as I showed in my last edit right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?