Wild weather wreaks havoc in Wellington

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weather
In summary, the storm caused widespread damage and closures, with some areas experiencing worse conditions than others.
StevieTNZ
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10891966

Most hit last night. Where I am, Petone (15 min drive from Wellington) shop signs from roofs were down, a window smashed. Neighbourhoods have trees down.

Schools closed. My Internet and TV is down (using mobile broadband atm).
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8823953/Wtn-winds-fiercer-than-Wahine-storm

For example- my half brothers high school closed http://www.hvhs.school.nz/friday-21st-june-the-school-is-open-today-and-we-do-have-power/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful.

Beach not looking too sharp.

Attachments

• Photo0085.jpg
    Photo0085.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Photo0086.jpg
    Photo0086.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 435
  • Photo0087.jpg
    Photo0087.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 426
And some more...

Attachments

• Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 422
  • Photo0096.jpg
    Photo0096.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 440
  • Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 453
It was everywhere - the weather system went from south to north (in NZ, the south wind is the cold one) and the southern islands got the worst of it... pity Christchurch: Earthquake, freeze, drought, floods, snow ... and this is NZs center of Christianity?!

By the time it hit Auckland last night, it was slushy hail and heavy rain.
It gets colder in places like, say, London, but, when you live their you are ready for it so it doesn't hurt so much.
The main streets were rivers last night - I had to be out in it: should have packed a canoe!

But then - that would make it tricky talking to women ... "Yes I am pleased to see you... it's just... I also have a canoe in my pocket..."

That's sad, I hope no one got hurt. :(

What caused the wild weather in Wellington?

The wild weather in Wellington was caused by a combination of factors, including strong winds, heavy rainfall, and low pressure systems. These conditions created a perfect storm that led to severe weather and wreaked havoc in the city.

What type of damage did the wild weather cause in Wellington?

The wild weather caused significant damage in Wellington, including power outages, flooding, fallen trees, and damage to buildings and infrastructure. The strong winds and heavy rainfall also made it difficult for emergency services to respond quickly.

How long is the wild weather expected to last in Wellington?

The duration of the wild weather in Wellington can vary, but it is usually short-lived. In most cases, the severe weather will only last for a few hours or a day before moving on to other areas. However, it is always important to stay informed and follow any weather warnings or updates from local authorities.

What should residents do to prepare for wild weather in Wellington?

Residents should have an emergency plan in place and be prepared for power outages and potential evacuations. It is also essential to secure loose items and clear gutters and drains to prevent flooding. Stay updated on weather forecasts and follow any instructions from local authorities.

Is this level of wild weather normal for Wellington?

Wellington is known for its unpredictable weather, and severe weather events like this are not uncommon. The city's location and topography make it susceptible to strong winds and heavy rainfall, especially during the winter months. However, the severity and frequency of wild weather events can vary from year to year.