Wild weather wreaks havoc in Wellington

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weather
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
StevieTNZ
Messages
1,944
Reaction score
837
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10891966

Most hit last night. Where I am, Petone (15 min drive from Wellington) shop signs from roofs were down, a window smashed. Neighbourhoods have trees down.

Schools closed. My Internet and TV is down (using mobile broadband atm).
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8823953/Wtn-winds-fiercer-than-Wahine-storm

For example- my half brothers high school closed http://www.hvhs.school.nz/friday-21st-june-the-school-is-open-today-and-we-do-have-power/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Beach not looking too sharp.
 
Attachments
  • Photo0085.jpg
    Photo0085.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Photo0086.jpg
    Photo0086.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 517
  • Photo0087.jpg
    Photo0087.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 525
And some more...
 
Attachments
  • Photo0091.jpg
    Photo0091.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 497
  • Photo0096.jpg
    Photo0096.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 520
  • Photo0090.jpg
    Photo0090.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 530
It was everywhere - the weather system went from south to north (in NZ, the south wind is the cold one) and the southern islands got the worst of it... pity Christchurch: Earthquake, freeze, drought, floods, snow ... and this is NZs center of Christianity?!

By the time it hit Auckland last night, it was slushy hail and heavy rain.
It gets colder in places like, say, London, but, when you live their you are ready for it so it doesn't hurt so much.
The main streets were rivers last night - I had to be out in it: should have packed a canoe!

But then - that would make it tricky talking to women ... "Yes I am pleased to see you... it's just... I also have a canoe in my pocket..."
 
That's sad, I hope no one got hurt. :(