Will a door rotate if I push a rod attached to its edge?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Erunanethiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    forces rotation torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Erunanethiel
If I were to put attach a long rod to the side of a door (the exact opposite of the side where it is hinged, the slim part)

And then I apply a force to the the right side of the rod I attached, would the door rotate to the right, or would the hinge completely oppose the force and the door wouldn't move?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would rotate, as the force is not directly in line with the hinge, producing torque on the door.
 
Attaching a rod to a door is a reasonable model of "taking hold of the door handle". So doesn't this question boil down to "can I open a door", or am I misunderstanding something?
 
Last edited:
It's not possible to answer the original question without a diagram.
 
CWatters said:
It's not possible to answer the original question without a diagram.
I am on mobile, do you have any suggestions on how I can draw the diagram and upload it here?
 
Draw one on paper, take a good photo, upload it?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Erunanethiel
CWatters said:
Draw one on paper, take a good photo, upload it?
Screenshot_20170926-051543.png
 
The door will rotate anticlockwise.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Erunanethiel
Erunanethiel said:
do you have any suggestions on how I can draw the diagram and upload it here?
Wouldn't it have been simpler to find a door and try it?
 
A.T. said:
Wouldn't it have been simpler to find a door and try it?
It would, but I like my doors enough to not hammer a nail to hold a rod in them
 
Erunanethiel said:
It would, but I like my doors enough to not hammer a nail to hold a rod in them
And they have no handles sticking out?
 
A useful trick in general is to imagine extending a situation to the point of absurdity. Imagine lengthening the rod until it's ten miles long. Then you've got something that looks very like a rod on a fulcrum, and your question becomes "can I tip a rod about a fulcrum?" Hopefully the answer is obvious.
 
Erunanethiel said:
I am not in USA, all we have here is nails
They do not glue boards together in wherever-istan? Possibly I am about to be educated in how things are done elsewhere.
 
jbriggs444 said:
They do not glue boards together in wherever-istan? Possibly I am about to be educated in how things are done elsewhere.
The main reason I didn't do it is it would take a lot of explaining to my family and can't do it without looking at least a little crazy of a person
 
Erunanethiel said:
The main reason I didn't do it is it would take a lot of explaining to my family and can't do it without looking at least a little crazy of a person
My father once asked me a rhetorical question about whether it was better to be thought "normal" by one's peers or to live your own life. He lived his own life well.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Erunanethiel
Erunanethiel said:
The main reason I didn't do it is it would take a lot of explaining to my family and can't do it without looking at least a little crazy of a person

You don't need a rod, if the door has handles. Just push on the handle the way you indicated in your diagram. The door will rotate if the line of action of the force doesn't pass through the hinge axis.

figure_72.jpg
 
jbriggs444 said:
My father once asked me a rhetorical question about whether it was better to be thought "normal" by one's peers or to live your own life. He lived his own life well.
Bless him