Will my academic inclinations 'jive' with the business world?

In summary, the person is considering a career in neuroscience, but is likely to do a Masters in Data Analytics first. This will give them the chance to do what they love, while also providing job security. However, the person is disillusioned with the corporate world and is concerned about having to climb up out of their expertise to connect their work to the big picture.
HizzleT
So, I did a BSc in Neuroscience and Math.
While long term I think am interested in a PhD in neuroscience, I am likely going to do a MSc in Data Analytics ("Big Data") first. It offers both job security if I change my mind on the PhD as well as the chance for me to do what I love: statistical + machine learning and programming.

The problem is that the job security from Big Data comes at a price in my mind: interacting with the business world.
I don't mind that other people are not concerned with vectorization or the most efficient linear algebra library in C++. However, I do worry about trying to explain -- in plain English -- why a highly technical problem has occurred and simply being ignored (or worse) because the explanation doesn't involve the words "this will directly increase our Stock Price by 500%".

For people who may have experience with this (e.g., as an engineer or applied physicist):

a. is working for a company as someone with technical expertise as I envision it?
(I suspect I think it's worse than it is and that there are some great companies out there...)
b. Has the environment I describe ever been bad enough to be a "deal breaker" for you?

Physics news on Phys.org
a. is working for a company as someone with technical expertise as I envision it?
In general, no.

b. Has the environment I describe ever been bad enough to be a "deal breaker" for you?
No.

HizzleT said:

It is one of possible scenarios.

HizzleT said:

I am disillusioned and bitter about a great many things in the corporate world, but people being profit oriented is not one of them.

HizzleT said:
(I suspect I think it's worse than it is and that there are some great companies out there...)

Being able to communicate complicated issues to a variety of audiences is a really critical skill, and it is going to determine what challenges and opportunities you will face. It is very unlikely you will be converting your work to stock price impact (someone else likely will), but you will most certainly be measuring it's impact in dollars.

My personal story:

While I was working in the university lab getting my masters, I was Mr organization. I ensured everything was clean, tools were organized, set schedules for myself (and sometimes others), and enjoyed mentoring. I felt very businessey, which made sense as I had worked in the private sector a couple of years before starting grad school.

Then I started as an actuarial analyst at an insurance company. My first year performance review basically read "Absent Minded Professor". The cultures are so wildly different that they saw me in opposite ways.

When I started at the insurance company, I loved sitting in the corner and just running queries or writing VBA. Now I still enjoy the idea of coding, but I hate doing it, because my time is too valuable to waste on such menial work. The companies I've worked for have needed my input, and I often have important insights into business decisions. Actually exerting organizational influence has become my new passion, not because I enjoy it, but because I find the results are often tremendously rewarding - and sometimes, less often, painfully disappointing. I work at a publicly traded company, but I work for the members/customers who support me, and I play an important part in ensuring the system works as much as possible in their favor.

So you're concerned you may have to climb up out of Python or R or C++ or whatever long enough to connect your work to the big picture, and some people avoid that most of their career. However keep in mind you may - upsetting as this possiblity might be - turn out like I have, and find that actually impacting the world you live in is rewarding as well.

Best of luck, and keep us updated.

Likes JakeBrodskyPE, elkement and Ben Espen

1. What skills from my academic background will be useful in the business world?

Many skills learned in academia can be transferred to the business world. Some of the most valuable skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, research and data analysis, communication, and time management. These skills can be applied to various roles and industries in the business world.

2. Will my academic background be valued in the business world?

Yes, having a strong academic background is highly valued in the business world. It shows potential employers that you have the dedication and discipline to complete a degree and have a strong foundation in your chosen field of study. Employers often seek candidates with a combination of academic knowledge and practical experience.

3. Can I use my academic background to pursue a career in business?

Absolutely! Many successful business professionals have backgrounds in various academic fields, such as accounting, economics, marketing, and management. Your academic background can provide you with a solid understanding of business principles and practices, which can be applied to a career in the business world.

4. How can I make the most of my academic background in the business world?

One way to make the most of your academic background in the business world is by highlighting relevant coursework, projects, and internships on your resume. You can also leverage your academic network and seek mentorship from professors or alumni who have successfully transitioned into the business world. Additionally, consider pursuing certifications or additional education to enhance your skills and make you a more competitive candidate.

5. Will my academic background limit my career options in the business world?

No, having an academic background can actually open up a wide range of career options in the business world. Employers value diverse backgrounds and experiences, so don't feel limited by your academic background. Instead, focus on how you can use your skills and knowledge to excel in any role or industry you are interested in pursuing.