Will studying fourier analysis prepare one for string theory and QP?

In summary, studying Fourier analysis can be very beneficial for physicists, especially in fields such as string theory and quantum physics. It can help with solving differential equations and working in Fourier space can make problems simpler. If considering a double major in physics and mathematics, it would be beneficial to focus on theoretical mathematics, particularly in areas such as Differential Geometry and Functional Analysis. However, studying Fourier analysis is also a valuable skill to have.
strings235
hey does anyone know if studying Fourier analysis is going to aid in physics, particularly in string theory or quantum physics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes it is.

Just one quick example: often physicists have to solve differential equations, like [tex]\mathcal{L}\phi = f[/tex] for given [tex]f[/tex] and differential operator [tex]\mathcal{L}[/tex]. One way do do this is by constructing a Greens function which satisfies [tex]\mathcal{L}G(x) = \delta(x)[/tex] (that's a Dirac delta) and then the equation can be solved for any [tex]f[/tex] by convolution; [tex]\phi = G * f = \int G(x - x') f(x') dx'[/tex]. Once you do this for different differential operators, you'll notice that it's often much handier to solve the Fourier components of [tex]G[/tex] separately (especially since the delta function has such an easy Fourier transform) and then back-transform them to get G.

In fact, I have heard that in field theories (QFT, for example) people love working in Fourier space, as problems are often relatively simple there and a real pain in the neck to do in real space.

So my advise would be: if you can study Fourier analysis, do it.

and would you recommend I study applied or theoretical mathematics if i were to do a double major with physics? thanks for the post btw.

strings235 said:
and would you recommend I study applied or theoretical mathematics if i were to do a double major with physics? thanks for the post btw.

I would recommend studying theoretical mathematics. Differential Geometry and Functional Analysis would be quite useful. Fourier Analysis is also quite useful. Many, many things are quite useful...

[tex]E=mc^{2}[/tex] :rofl:

What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze periodic functions by breaking them down into simpler components.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all of the fundamental forces of nature by describing particles as tiny strings instead of point-like particles.

What is QP?

QP, or quantum physics, is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

How does studying Fourier analysis prepare one for string theory?

Studying Fourier analysis provides a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding string theory, such as complex analysis, differential equations, and functional analysis.

Can Fourier analysis be used to directly solve problems in string theory and QP?

No, Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool that is used as a tool to understand and analyze complex problems in string theory and QP, but it cannot be used to directly solve these problems.