Will Medical School Stifle My Passion for Technology?

In summary, the person is an 18-year-old who just graduated high school with a high score and got accepted into medical school. However, they are also interested in technology and have done extensive research on programming languages and micro-controllers. They are concerned that studying medicine for 11 years will destroy their passion for technology and are seeking advice on whether to pursue medicine or technology. They also mention their father's expectations and their desire to find meaning in their life through research. The conversation ends with a discussion about the practicality of medicine and the person's interests in medical research.
alan_longor
So i am 18 years old , and i just graduated high school with a high score . recently i got accepted into medical school and my parents are pushing me hard to study there .
aside from school work , i have been extremely interested in technology , i did some extensive research on programming languages , embedded systems and micro-controller and CPU structures , at this point i am able to write fully optimized C and assembly code for AVR micro-controllers and i am now attempting to study the more advanced ARM architecture .. i enjoy this , though my parents said that it can just be a hobby for me .and that i should study medicine . i also am interested in somethings in math that my father calls useless , like bent dimensions and ultra-dimensional objects . i really enjoy math .

Now studying anatomy and how the human body works sounds interesting to me and i like doing research ,the problem is , a full med-school program lasts for 11 years here in France . so i will be almost 30 by the time i graduate . the thing i am afraid of is the possibility that medical school would destroy my passion for technology and remove that tendency all together . to be honest , i am not willing to lose this since i like technology too much . that"s why i am writing this today ... will medical school remove or cancel my passion for technology ? and get me to forget everything i did study for that ?

I also don't want my father's predictions to turn true .. he said that after a few years i will become more realistic and understand that medical school is the best choice for me to forge my personality , he also said that people that think like me and want to do research often end up depressed and alone (i don't know how he got that idea) . i do not want to become a materialistic person , and even though i am too young to say this , i feel that research is the only thing that can give some meaning to my life .

Please pardon me for this long post and my bad literacy , i posted this because i am unable to find a solution to this matter and haven't found anyone to seriously support me .

thank you .

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how computer engineering is less realistic or practical than medicine. Computer engineering is a very valuable degree choice, at least, I know it is in the U.S. Whether you lose passion for something after a few years of study is only something you can determine. It's also your decision how much you chose to weigh your parents' decision for you versus your own decisions. In some cultures, parents play an important role in choosing someone's career, and in some cultures, they don't, and this varies very much even within cultures.

You're an adult, or almost an adult, though, and you have the freedom to decide what you do with your life. Your parents literally cannot make that decision for you, especially in a free country like France. If you want to do something different (like I said, your interests are in line with computer engineering), then do it. That doesn't mean there won't be consequences for doing something your parents don't want you to do, but it's your decision.

I don't see how the choices are "practical medicine" or "theoretical research" with nothing in between. Perhaps you should look more into computer engineering and explore that option with your parents. On the one hand, your parents are likely invested in your future and want you to choose something that will bring you success, and on the other, it's your life, not your parents'. You just need to show them that there are practical fields besides medicine.

In the USA, many doctors have told me that you need to have a passion for medicine to be a doctor, or you have to really like money. I don't know if French doctors make as much as American doctors do, though. If you're not passionate about it, it will be difficult to succeed. Keep that in mind.

Likes berkeman, billy_joule and CalcNerd
alan_longor said:
i feel that research is the only thing that can give some meaning to my life .
You mostly mention medical research. You don't need an MD degree to do medical research. Probably a PhD would suit you better if you are not interested in patient care.

What patient contacts do you have so far? Have you tried volunteering at a local hospital, or volunteering on the First Aid Team at large public events? Are you currently certified in First Aid / CPR / AED?
alan_longor said:
will medical school remove or cancel my passion for technology ?
I son't see why it would. Certainly you will be very busy for much of that time, which gives you less time to learn about electronics and other aspects of technology. But many doctors can mix technology with their MD pursuits and interests -- it would depend a bit on the specialty that you choose.

Likes alan_longor
thank you very much sir . i really appreciate your help .

1. Can a single choice really change who I am?

Yes, every choice we make has the potential to change us in some way. Our experiences and actions shape our thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors, ultimately influencing our identity. So, even a seemingly small choice can have a significant impact on who we are.

2. How does making a choice lead to change?

When we make a choice, we are actively deciding to do something or behave in a certain way. This decision sends signals to our brain, which then triggers a series of neural connections and changes in our brain chemistry. Over time, these changes can result in noticeable differences in our thoughts, emotions, and actions.

3. Is it possible to predict how a choice will change me?

No, it's impossible to know for certain how a choice will change you. Every person is unique, and the way we respond to different situations and experiences varies. While some choices may have predictable outcomes, others may surprise us with their impact on our lives.

4. Can a single choice change me for the better or worse?

Yes, a choice can have both positive and negative effects on us. It all depends on the nature of the choice and how we react to it. Some choices may lead to personal growth and development, while others may have negative consequences. It's essential to carefully consider the potential outcomes of a choice before making a decision.

5. Can I change back to who I was before if I don't like the change brought on by a choice?

This depends on the specific change and how deeply it has affected you. Some changes may be temporary and reversible, while others may have a lasting impact. It's important to remember that we are constantly evolving and changing, and it's natural to have shifts in our identity. If you're unhappy with a change, you can actively work towards adapting or making new choices that align with your desired self.