1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wilson's theorem proof

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    This is an exercise I've taken from Rotman's introductory textbook about groups.
    Prove Wilson's theorem: If ##p## is a prime, then ##(p-1)!=-1 \text{ mod } p##. He gives the following hint: The nonzero elements of ##\mathbb Z_p## form a multiplicative group.

The attempt at a solution.

I couldn't make use of the hint, until now, all I've deduced is: since ##p-1=-1 \text{ mod } p##, then to prove Wilson's theorem would be equivalent to prove that ##(p-1)!=p-1 \text{ mod } p##. Could anyone guide me on how could I use the hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##p=2## then the theorem is obviously true.

If ##p## is a prime greater than 2, then ##p## is odd. So the multiplicative group ##\{1, 2, \ldots p-1\}## has an even number of elements. Try pairing each element of the group with its inverse. Can you conclude anything interesting?

4. Dec 12, 2013 #3
    ##p-1=-1 \text { mod } p##. From here, one can deduce that ##(p-1)^{-1}=p-1 \text { mod } p##, so we can consider the set ##\{2,...,p-2\}## and pair each element ##n_{i}## of this set with its inverse ##n_{i}^{-1}##, which is also in the set ##\{2,...,p-2\}##. Then, ##(p-1)!=1.(\prod n_i n_{i}^{-1}).(p-1)=1.1.(p-1)=p-1=-1 \text { mod } p##.

My notation is awful, but I didn't know how to write properly your suggestion. Thanks for the help!

5. Dec 12, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you have the right idea. The key is that there are exactly two elements which are their own inverses: ##1## and ##p-1##. (Proof: ##x^2 = 1## iff ##x^2 - 1 = 0## iff ##(x+1)(x-1) = 0## iff ##x=-1## or ##x=1##.) All the other elements cancel each other out in pairs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted