Proof of Wilson's Theorem: Prime Number Divisibility in Zp Group

In summary, Wilson's theorem states that if ##p## is a prime, then ##(p-1)!=-1 \text{ mod } p##, and this can be proven by considering the nonzero elements of ##\mathbb Z_p## as a multiplicative group and pairing each element with its inverse. This results in all elements cancelling out except for ##1## and ##p-1##, leading to the desired conclusion.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
This is an exercise I've taken from Rotman's introductory textbook about groups.
Prove Wilson's theorem: If ##p## is a prime, then ##(p-1)!=-1 \text{ mod } p##. He gives the following hint: The nonzero elements of ##\mathbb Z_p## form a multiplicative group. The attempt at a solution.

I couldn't make use of the hint, until now, all I've deduced is: since ##p-1=-1 \text{ mod } p##, then to prove Wilson's theorem would be equivalent to prove that ##(p-1)!=p-1 \text{ mod } p##. Could anyone guide me on how could I use the hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##p=2## then the theorem is obviously true.

If ##p## is a prime greater than 2, then ##p## is odd. So the multiplicative group ##\{1, 2, \ldots p-1\}## has an even number of elements. Try pairing each element of the group with its inverse. Can you conclude anything interesting?

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
If ##p=2## then the theorem is obviously true.

If ##p## is a prime greater than 2, then ##p## is odd. So the multiplicative group ##\{1, 2, \ldots p-1\}## has an even number of elements. Try pairing each element of the group with its inverse. Can you conclude anything interesting?

##p-1=-1 \text { mod } p##. From here, one can deduce that ##(p-1)^{-1}=p-1 \text { mod } p##, so we can consider the set ##\{2,...,p-2\}## and pair each element ##n_{i}## of this set with its inverse ##n_{i}^{-1}##, which is also in the set ##\{2,...,p-2\}##. Then, ##(p-1)!=1.(\prod n_i n_{i}^{-1}).(p-1)=1.1.(p-1)=p-1=-1 \text { mod } p##.

My notation is awful, but I didn't know how to write properly your suggestion. Thanks for the help!

Yes, you have the right idea. The key is that there are exactly two elements which are their own inverses: ##1## and ##p-1##. (Proof: ##x^2 = 1## iff ##x^2 - 1 = 0## iff ##(x+1)(x-1) = 0## iff ##x=-1## or ##x=1##.) All the other elements cancel each other out in pairs.

Likes 1 person

1. What is Wilson's theorem and why is it important?

Wilson's theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that a natural number n is a prime number if and only if (n-1)! + 1 is divisible by n. This theorem is important because it provides a way to determine whether a number is prime or not without having to check its divisors individually.

2. What is the proof for Wilson's theorem?

The proof for Wilson's theorem involves using the properties of modular arithmetic and the concept of a multiplicative inverse. It can be shown that if (n-1)! + 1 is divisible by n, then n must be a prime number. Conversely, if n is a prime number, then (n-1)! + 1 will always be divisible by n.

3. How is Wilson's theorem used in number theory?

Wilson's theorem is commonly used in number theory to identify prime numbers and to study the properties of prime numbers. It can also be used to solve problems involving congruences and modular arithmetic.

4. Are there any exceptions to Wilson's theorem?

Yes, there are exceptions to Wilson's theorem. The theorem only holds for natural numbers, so it does not apply to negative numbers or zero. Additionally, there are some composite numbers that satisfy the theorem, known as Wilson primes. These numbers are rare and only a few have been discovered so far.

5. Can Wilson's theorem be extended to other types of numbers?

Yes, Wilson's theorem can be extended to other types of numbers such as complex numbers and even to certain types of polynomials. However, the theorem may not hold for all types of numbers and may require modifications or additional conditions.