Wind forces, sraightline v cyclonic

In summary, the conversation is about the effects of wind forces on a human body in a fictional SciFi story. The character is hanging upside down from a pipe on a building during a severe storm with straightline winds and rocks hitting them. The question is whether cyclonic winds would be stronger than straight line winds and if the character's feet would experience more force than their arms or body. The conversation also includes the speaker's appreciation for the site and a thank you in advance for any responses.
lesah
Hello, I have question about wind forces on a human body. (Wind force may be an incorrect phrase.)
I have looked at a few other threads but haven't found an answer yet.

Thisnisnfor a fictional short story I'm writing for fun.
Info -
SciFi
A character in armored suit is hanging upside down from a pipe on the roof of a building in a bad storm. Severe strightline winds. Has armored suit as there are many rocks the size of small apples hitting her.

What I have written is that she is barely holding on but shenwill be in trouble if the storm turns into a cyclone, with the and pulling her from every direction at once.

Questions:
- Would cyclonic winds naturally be stronger than straight line winds?
- Would her feet have more forcenupon them than her arms or body?
If there are any other flaws in my thinking please let me know.

I am a new member but I plan to stay here, not just ask a question and leave. I wish I would have found this site sooner! Awesome site and resource.

Thank you in advance if you're able to respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that you need to assert that the winds would be stronger. Just the changing directions will make an already precarious hold fail.

Thank you, DaleSpam. Much appreciated. ☺

1. What is the difference between wind forces in a straight line and a cyclonic pattern?

Wind forces in a straight line, also known as straight-line winds, are strong winds that move in a single direction. These winds are typically caused by thunderstorms or weather fronts. On the other hand, cyclonic winds, or winds associated with a cyclone, are circular and move in a counterclockwise direction in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. How do wind forces in a straight line and cyclonic patterns affect structures differently?

Straight-line winds can cause significant damage to structures, such as roofs, windows, and siding, by exerting a force in one direction. In contrast, cyclonic winds can cause damage by creating a suction effect, pulling upward on structures and potentially causing roofs to be lifted off.

3. What are some common signs of straight-line wind damage?

Straight-line wind damage can often be identified by the presence of downed trees, power lines, and debris in a single direction. Structures may also show signs of damage, such as missing shingles or broken windows, all pointing in the same direction.

4. How are straight-line wind speeds measured?

Straight-line wind speeds are typically measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures wind speed and direction. These measurements are often taken at weather stations and reported in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. Can wind forces in a straight line or cyclonic pattern be predicted?

Meteorologists use advanced weather models and data to predict the potential for straight-line winds and cyclonic patterns. However, these weather events can be unpredictable and can vary in strength and direction. It is important to stay informed and follow any evacuation or safety guidelines issued by local authorities during severe weather events.