Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind turbine to charge 12V batteries

1. Mar 18, 2016 #1
    I have a mws freedom pmg 12 volt 1600 watt PMG with falcon mach 3 blades. Live in city so turbine is only 12ft off ground. Don't get good wind. Can I use a 24 volt pmg to charge my 12 volt battery bank? Have charge controller that can handle high voltage and will dump at 14.5 volts. Also have 600 watt 10.8-30 volt GTI and 1000 watt 22-60 volt GTI. If I make to much power I could divert power to batteries and GTI's at same time. Will this work ???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What voltage will the charge controller operate down to? Is the charge controller dropping out a lot of the time because the voltage from the 12V pmg is too low?

4. Mar 18, 2016 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Independent of the voltage question, most wind generators don't make much power until the wind is 15 knots or more. Before investing a lot of money, you should ask yourself, "Do I have enough wind to make this pay?"

5. Mar 18, 2016 #4
    Here is the kind of controller I have High amp rating: 440 amps, 10,000 watts. s-l140.jpg

6. Mar 18, 2016 #5
    Most of time wind is Not over 12 mph until we have thunder storm. On average only 11 volts coming from 12 volt turbine. Have seen 22 volts in 50 mph gust but only for short time.

7. Mar 18, 2016 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's too bad. In that case, I'm afraid you are wasting your time and money.

8. Mar 18, 2016 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There doesn't seem to be much tech data available on the charge controller here...

http://store.mwands.com/combination-wind-solar-hybrid-charge-controllers/12-volt-wind-and-solar-charge-controller-w/led-display-1200-watt-divert-load/ [Broken]

It looks like it will only charge a 12v battery if the input voltage is in a narrow range. So I don't think switching to a 24v generator will work. I suspect you would need a more advanced charge controller that has a dc-dc converter in it that will charge a 12v battery from a wider range of input voltages including less than 12v.

I'm inclined to agree with anorlunda that you might be wasting money.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted