Can I Charge Two 12V Batteries in Series While Using a 24V Starting Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of wiring two 12v batteries in series to create a 24v starting power for a motor. However, this presents a problem for charging the batteries, which leads to the suggestion of using a DPDT switch and a circuit layout to make the batteries function as one in parallel. Other solutions include using a 24v battery charger or a 12v to 24v DC to DC converter. A suggested circuit is provided and the possibility of finding a series-parall switch or a 12v to 24v converter is mentioned.
quize
hi all,

i have this qns which i been figuring, but can't get the right circuit.

i have 2 12v batteries. which i want to wire in series to give it a 24v starting to a motor.
however by doing that, i am unable to charge both batteries as my rectifier is only able to charge 12v. I need to make it to become "one" battery by making it parallel.

i think about it and i guess it need a DPDT switch to do the job.

but not sure about the circuit layout.

can any kind soul advise me. thanks

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is fairly easy. Let's call one battery the first and one the second battery.

1) Connect two wires to the leads where the second battery is currently contacted.
Now Imagine, if you would rip out the second battery and connect it for charging, where would you put it (answer in parallel to the first battery - mind the polarity).

2) Connect two wires to the place where you would connect it for charging.

3) Put the for wires on the output of your switch.

4) Connect the second battery to the input of your switch. In one position the battery is connected as before ind the other it is connected for charging.

Done.

The batteries are used for starting a motor, so they can have loads of a hundred amps or so, even at 24 volts.

So, you really don't want to be putting switches in circuit unless you are prepared to get some really big switches and wire them up with starter motor cable.

You could charge up the batteries independently with the 12 volt charger. Just move the charger wires but leave the battery wiring alone.

You could try putting another 12 volt battery charger in series with the one you have got.

You could hunt around for a 12 volt to 24 volt DC to DC converter. I don't know if they exist.
You would have to put some current limiting on it to make it suitable for battery charging.

You could modify your battery charger with a voltage doubler circuit. This would give you some trickle charging.

The best and cheapest solution is to get a 24 volt battery charger.

hmm i have draw out a circuit maybe some can advise if this is correct as what was mentioned

i have attached the original circuit, and the added on.

Attachments

• 12 24.JPG
    12 24.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 6,722
  • batterys.jpg
    batterys.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 2,550
Last edited:
I have attached a circuit which may be what you were describing.

This shows the batteries being in parallel most of the time and hopefully charging from the vehicle battery charging system. This normally involves putting rectifiers in series with each battery, but I haven't shown that.

When the starter switch is activated the relay contacts move across and connect the two batteries in series.

This is not a practical circuit, though, as the currents involved would be huge.

Attachments

• 12 24 series parallel.JPG
    12 24 series parallel.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 3,395
looks about right, switches for these purposes exist

Truck manufacturers such as Kenworth,Mack,Freightliner&White used such a switch
(called a series-parall switch) on 1945-1965 trucks.

Find a dealer mechanic or starter alternator service to help locate one.

12 volt to 24 volt DC/DCf converters do exist and can be purchased from Power Stream for a little over $100.

1. What is the difference between 12v charging and 24v starting?

12v charging and 24v starting are two different electrical systems used in vehicles. 12v charging refers to the process of charging the vehicle's battery using a 12-volt charging system. This is typically done by connecting the battery to a charger or by using the vehicle's alternator. On the other hand, 24v starting is the process of starting the vehicle's engine using a 24-volt starting system. This is achieved by using two batteries connected in series, which creates a 24-volt system to provide enough power to start the engine.

2. Why do some vehicles have a 12v charging system while others have a 24v starting system?

The type of electrical system used in a vehicle depends on the size and power requirements of the engine. Smaller engines, such as those in passenger cars, typically use a 12v charging system. This is because they require less power to start and run. Larger engines, such as those in heavy-duty trucks and construction equipment, require more power to start and run, so they use a 24v starting system.

3. Can a 12v charging system be used to start a vehicle with a 24v starting system?

No, a 12v charging system is not capable of providing enough power to start a vehicle with a 24v starting system. The two systems are designed to work independently and cannot be used interchangeably. Attempting to use a 12v charging system to start a vehicle with a 24v starting system could damage the vehicle's electrical components.

4. What are the benefits of using a 24v starting system over a 12v charging system?

The main benefit of using a 24v starting system is that it provides more power to start the engine, especially in larger vehicles with high-power engines. This can be particularly useful in extreme weather conditions, such as cold temperatures, where more power is needed to start the engine. Additionally, a 24v starting system can also provide more reliable and consistent starting performance.

5. Is it possible to convert a vehicle from a 12v charging system to a 24v starting system?

In most cases, it is not recommended to convert a vehicle from a 12v charging system to a 24v starting system. This would require significant modifications to the vehicle's electrical system, which can be expensive and potentially cause compatibility issues. It is best to consult with a professional mechanic or auto electrician before attempting any conversions.