1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind Turbine/Weather station interface

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1
    Hello, I have a small 300W wind turbine (Aero4gen). I also have a weather station which datalog's the wind speed/direction, ect... at intervals of 5 mins also there is a solar radiation sensor (photodiode) (0 to 3 volts). Anyway, i will not be needing the solar radiation datalogging facility and would like to piggyback my voltage readings from the generator into the datalogger using this available port so i can use this info in a microcontroller. So my problem is how can i design a circuit that will track the voltage (generator output 0 to 45volts also depending on loads) and give me a scaled down linear (0 to 3 volts) output?
    I know i could use a resistance voltage divider circuit, however i was wondering if there was a way to detect varying voltages and scale them in a stand alone system.
    Any help will be appriated on this, cheers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2007 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplest way would be to just use a resistance voltage divider. But using an opamp would give you an easier way to scale it with a variable resistor.

4. Apr 4, 2007 #3
    if it's an AC voltage, don't forget step-down transformers

5. Apr 5, 2007 #4
    it's a DC voltage from a rectifier

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?