Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Window screen focuses bricks beyond?

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1
    Can a uniform diffraction grating (a window screen) alone focus objects (bricks on a building beyond) so that a nearsighted observer (I) can better image them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2
    Diffraction gratings don't focus things to my knowladge. However, what you may be expieriencing might have something to do with Morie Patterns.

4. Jan 9, 2007 #3
    I say this without having read the link (sorry im lazy its late :P) but i think he means that you could change the path of the light rays with defraction and effectively use it as a lens.

5. Jan 9, 2007 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If you mean that things seem to be in better focus when you stand right up close to a fine mesh and peer through it at distant objects, then it is likely the pinhole effect is negating your refractive error.

Read this for a very simple explanation : http://www.myopia.org/pinholes.htm

6. Jan 9, 2007 #5
    Thanks, folks. It had me fooled! Indeed it must be a Moire pattern rather than a pinhole effect, since there were many apertures contributing to the interference, without substantial loss of light. I guess approximate coherence is cancelled out with many "pinholes." Two great suggestions that I initially overlooked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?