Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows clock cannot sync

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone ,earlier this day, when i boot my pc i saw that the clock was losing time...i tried multiply times to fix it but again when i reboot the system the problem was still here. i opened bios and i saw that even there the clock wasn't synced. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/ this is the motherboard i have the pc is self-built but i have it a year only...is it possible that the battery is dead? please help me i find it so confusing having a problem on a device :@

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2
    anyone please?

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3

Svein

Science Advisor

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Generally, the real time clock is driven by the same battery which provides power to the non-volatile RAM which stores your BIOS settings while your PC is turned off. If you remove this battery or it goes bad for some reason, you'll lose these BIOS settings. Generally, these batteries have such a low current drain that they can last for years, or at least until your PC becomes obsolete and it's time to be replaced. :wink:

You haven't said how much time your losing with your clock, but unless you are doing some time-critical work with your PC, like launching a satellite, I wouldn't worry about it. Over time, the battery will get weaker and the time difference will increase.

6. Mar 23, 2015 #5
    i fixed it, i just changed the battery probably faulty

7. Mar 23, 2015 #6
    It seems that you applied Occam's razor to the problem and it worked.

8. Mar 24, 2015 #7
    really interesting i just googled it...never knew what was this occam's razor you refered :)

9. May 26, 2015 #8
    try changing your CMOS battery in cpu.

10. May 26, 2015 #9
    thanks, i did this and it worked!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook