Windows Exploding: Science Behind the Scenes

• Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation is about the phenomenon of car windows exploding or shattering in movies and whether this actually happens in real life. One person suggests that it is just a dramatic effect for television and that in reality, shooting a tank of propane or a powerful gun would not cause a car to explode. Another person mentions that the windows on vehicles are made of tempered or laminated safety glass and are designed to break into small pieces, not explode. They also provide a link to an article explaining the process of tempering glass. Another person mentions that the US government mandates the use of safety glass in cars, and that it can still be dangerous if shattered. The conversation ends with one person correcting their use of the word "explode" and explaining the
nacho-man
Hi friends,
I've seen in many movies the windows of a car exploding after someone has had a great fall and landed on the car. Would anyone care to explain to me why this happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, because it makes for good tv. You can shoot a tank of propane and nothing will happen. In fact unless its a VERY powerful gun, it will just bounce off. If it is a powerful gun, it will just make a hole and leak out. Sorry, no explosions here either.

Cyrus said:
Sure, because it makes for good tv. You can shoot a tank of propane and nothing will happen. In fact unless its a VERY powerful gun, it will just bounce off. If it is a powerful gun, it will just make a hole and leak out. Sorry, no explosions here either.

I think he's just referring to the windows shattering.

In the case that he isn't, a car that explodes on impact wouldn't even be street legal. Besides, who the h*** would be crazy enough to drive an exploding deathtrap anyways. There are all sorts of crazy things in films, like cars hitting poles at 60mph and bursting into flames. Maybe there would be an engine fire, but no automaker in their right minds would sell a car that unsafe (at least not here where its regulated, maybe in China..)

The windows on vehicles are tempered or laminated safety glass. I believe the automakers are now using the laminated kind which has a thin layer of plastic in between two glass layers. That is why, if you have ever seen a real accident, the windows look like they can get peeled back from the car. They are meant to break into very small pieces with an impact, but they should not explode. The small pieces help to ensure that, in an accident, there are no large sharp protrusions that someone can get impaled on.

Windows exploding are, at best, a throw back to when there was simple plain glass in vehicles. They definitely do not work like that any longer.

Here's a link to How Stuff Works' site on the subject:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question508.htm

Last edited:
One thing everybody is forgettin is that windows in a automobile do not explode but crack, mandated by the "holier than thou" US government. It is a cheap Hollywood trick.

Last edited:
While I've never seen car windows explode, I sure as hell have seen a few that imploded. Windshield safety glass is a bit of a joke in that regard. I once got called to make a set of keys for an impounded car that had been in a front-end collision. The entire front seat was plastered with little square bits of glass that looked fairly harmless... until I accidentally brushed my hand against one and ended up bleeding like a stuck pig for half an hour. (That was a mid-70's model; maybe things have changed.)

sorry friends i used the wrong word, i meant why do they shatter?

1. Why do windows explode?

The main reason windows explode is due to a phenomenon called thermal stress. When the temperature outside changes rapidly, the glass in a window expands and contracts at different rates, causing the glass to crack and eventually shatter.

2. Can other factors besides temperature cause windows to explode?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to windows exploding. For example, if a window is not installed properly or is already weakened or damaged, it is more likely to explode due to changes in temperature or other external forces.

3. Is there a certain type of glass that is more prone to exploding?

Tempered glass, which is often used in car windows and shower doors, is more likely to explode than regular glass. This is because tempered glass is designed to shatter into small pieces rather than large shards, making it safer for use in certain applications.

4. Can windows explode without any external force?

Yes, it is possible for windows to explode without any external force. This is known as spontaneous glass breakage and is caused by imperfections in the glass or the manufacturing process. However, this is a rare occurrence.

5. How can I prevent windows from exploding?

To prevent windows from exploding, it is important to make sure they are installed properly and free from any damage. Using tempered glass or installing a window film can also help to reduce the risk of explosion. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to identify and address any potential issues before they become bigger problems.