Wing and wind turbine blade aerodynamic center?

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling a wind turbine blade using Solidworks and the issue of scaling the airfoil coordinates with respect to the origin and its effect on the position of the aerodynamic center. It is clarified that the aerodynamic center does not need to be along the same line for each section and may vary depending on the airfoil shape and angle. The use of CFD or recalculating the 3D aerodynamic center may be necessary for more accurate results.
mezah
Hello everyone,
Now i am trying to model wind turbine blade using solidworks.

I have the airfoil coordinates at each section of the blade, but the coordinates are distance per chord (x/c,y/c) so i have to scale it using the calculated chord.
When i scale it with respect to the origin - which is at the leading edge - the position of the aerodynamic center for each section is changed with respect to others.
Is the aerodynamic center should be along the same line??
Is this correct or should i do it another way?
Thanks in advance.
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6729/71671216.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mezah said:
When i scale it with respect to the origin - which is at the leading edge - the position of the aerodynamic center for each section is changed with respect to others.

Well this has to be the case since the aerodynamic center you were given is the 2D aerodynamic center. The blade's true 3D aerodynamic center will change and will be along a new constant chord. You will have to recalculate the 3D AC or estimate it using CFD.

Hi there! It sounds like you are on the right track with modeling your wind turbine blade in Solidworks. As for your question about the aerodynamic center, it is not necessary for it to be along the same line for each section. The aerodynamic center is the point on the airfoil where the lift force acts, and it can vary depending on the shape and angle of the airfoil. As long as you are accurately scaling the airfoil coordinates and maintaining the correct proportions, the position of the aerodynamic center should not be a problem. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the aerodynamic center of a wing or wind turbine blade?

The aerodynamic center is the point on a wing or wind turbine blade where the lift or force acts as if it is being applied.

2. How is the aerodynamic center calculated?

The aerodynamic center can be calculated using mathematical equations and computational fluid dynamics simulations. It is typically located at 25-30% of the chord length from the leading edge of the wing or blade.

3. What is the significance of the aerodynamic center?

The aerodynamic center is an important parameter in the design and performance of wings and wind turbine blades. It helps determine the stability, control, and overall efficiency of the aerodynamic shape.

4. How does the aerodynamic center affect the flight or operation of a wing or wind turbine?

The location of the aerodynamic center plays a crucial role in the stability and maneuverability of a wing or wind turbine. A forward aerodynamic center can make an aircraft more stable, while a rearward aerodynamic center can make it more responsive to control inputs.

5. Can the aerodynamic center be moved or adjusted?

In some cases, the aerodynamic center can be adjusted by changing the shape or angle of the wing or blade. However, this should be done carefully as it can greatly affect the overall performance of the aircraft or wind turbine.