1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wire supplying current to a filament lamp doesnt get hot?

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,

So one of my students has asked me a question which I'm not sure how to answer. The question is: Why does the wire that supplies current to the filament lamp in a light bulb not heat up, even though the filament itself does?

Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2015 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

4. Jul 1, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To emphasize what nsaspook has said, why do you think that the filament in the light bulb is often made of very thin tungsten, whereas the wire supplying the current and connected to the light bulb is made of thicker copper? Look up the resistivity of each as a start.

Zz.

5. Jul 2, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Once you understand the above you might be able to work out why the filament in a car headlight bulb (say 50W,12V) doesn't break easily? After all they are subjected to high levels of vibration and shock. If you have ever handled an old a domestic light bulb (say 50W, 220V) you will know that it's very easy to break the filament - simply removing the bulb and putting it down on a table can be enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook