Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless transmission of electricity

1. Jul 5, 2005 #1
    Is there any research done in this field? If there is why it was not realized by now? It is known that Tesla did some research on this topic but never got the funding for his Wardenclyffe Tower. I think that he managed to send electricity at about 40 miles without using any wires.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think there was a thread on this and the idea is just way too dangerous to do on a usable level.

4. Jul 6, 2005 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The closest modern application that I've seen proposed was to use microwaves to beam energy down to earth from orbiting solar panel farms. But there's the pesky problem of toasting everything in the beam, including birds, airplanes, etc. You can transmit power as EM waves, but when you get to useful power transfer levels, the beam is very dangerous.

5. Jul 6, 2005 #4
    crystal radio

i know if you use a crystal radio close enough to the AM transmitter it doesn't require any usage of external power
    how does that work?

6. Jul 6, 2005 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I had a crystal radio as a kid. I think I got one station pretty reliably, and sometimes hints of other stations. The metal whisker and the crystal form a rectifying diode, so if you have a reasonably resonant long-wire antenna, you can get enough of an AC voltage to power a very low power earpiece. A quarter-wave is about 75m at 1MHz, so it takes a good long wire suspended above the ground perpendicular to the line-of-sight to the transmitter to have a chance of picking up a good voltage. Man, that takes me back (to the stone age almost.... :-)

7. Jul 6, 2005 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too. I was just thinking the other day about selenium rectifiers. Remember those plates?

Regards

8. Jul 10, 2005 #7
    Check the Tesla web ring for details on Tesla. Not that there was no money for the project - just that there was no way of metering any usage, so no way to charge for it - so what commercial enterprise would back that? More recent attempts to replicate the work have been made by a few groups - with varying results. Teslas scheme was far bigger and more 'global'than people either then (or now) would finance. Additional problems would be occasioned now by modern electronics being so sensitive to static. Tesla was charging the earth as one plate of a giant capacitor - with the upper atmosphere for the other plate. Transmission along these lines certainly works. My own humble attempt saw sparks being able to be drawn from the water mains for a few blocks around me.. It bugged the hell out of everyone with flouro tubes for house lighting.. they glowed constantly. Not impossible, just politically and economically devisive. Sad really. :|

9. Jul 11, 2005 #8
    How exactly did you do it? :rofl: Do you need to be very good (Engineer) or is it possible for an amateur like me?

10. Jul 14, 2005 #9
    As I say, check the coil builders sites for coil design info. Teslas Colorado Springs Notes is a good (but heavy going) read. Basically, a spark discharge means a 'failure'. Set things for primary resonance and "St. Elmo's Fire"or 'secondary efflueve' as it is sometimes called. Pump the input power up to about 7KVA and you'll be doing it too.

11. Jul 15, 2005 #10
    In addition to the safety factors mentioned above, wireless
    transmission of power is not as efficient as wired transmission. When you
    sell product by the kilowatt, you lose money to the water vapor and passing birds.

12. Jul 18, 2005 #11
    i think theres somebody out there trying to make an attempt on that matter. but its to dabgerous and the operation is not efficient when transmitting large amount of electric energy unwired.

13. Jul 20, 2005 #12
    Only Tesla could do it.

14. Jul 21, 2005 #13
    I'm not taking anything away from the Genius Tesla. But
    Wardenclyffe was a failure in my engineering judgement.

15. Aug 30, 2005 #14
    What about the reverse??

I've read a fair amount about Tesla and radio waves. I've never tried to measure electricity in an antenna but if you were to setup a large enough antenna would you be able to collect a current in the antenna? If so, could you not collect the electricity in a battery from the wire?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?