Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless window opener component selection

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    Hello,

As a project I am making a wireless window blinds controller. It will be a motor turning the handle of the blinds. It may or may not use bluetooth and or wifi. It will be wireless through some means though. The device does not raise or lower the blinds.

I measured a peak torque of 2 ft lbs when turning the blinds handle. This peak occurs when the blinds shift from facing down to facing up.

What motor should I use for quiet operation?

You can learn more about the project here: http://hackaday.io/project/3516-lightbix

Thank you,
    -GiTS

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You could use a wiper motor from a wrecked car. It will have a quiet worm reduction gear.
    Instead of 12VDC, run it on 5V to reduce it's speed and quieten it further.

4. Dec 4, 2014 #3
    There were errors in my previous measurements! I have new torque measurements and they are MUCH more accurate.

New torque measurement is 10.3 oz in or 743 g cm.

Thank you for suggestion Baluncore. With the new torque measurements, what motor would you suggest? I would prefer something standardized as I'd like the project to be repeatable for anyone interested in making it.

5. Dec 4, 2014 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

There is no motor cheaper and more standard than a used 12V wiper motor.

Others will want to do other things that may require reciprocating or rotational motion, with more or less torque.
    No one else will want to adjust your blinds.

6. Dec 5, 2014 #5
    Thank you. Where can I find an inexpensive wiper motor online? Ebay and google shopping are all in the $60 range.

7. Dec 5, 2014 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Used wiper motors come out of wrecked cars. Find a dead car or go to a scrap yard.

8. Dec 5, 2014 #7
    I will find one.

What do I need to drive it? Will a uln2003 or l293d work? I have those. But they only go up to 1 amp.

9. Dec 5, 2014 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You might be better using an H-bridge made from four MOSFETS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_bridge
    You will need flyback diodes across the MOSFET switches to protect them from the current switch-off voltage spike.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook