Wiring a permanent split capacitor motor

In summary, the conversation is about a query regarding a 5 wire induction motor without a wiring diagram from a washing machine. The individual is asking for help in figuring out the connections by measuring the resistance of the terminals against each other. They also request general instructions on how to figure out the connections for any induction motor. The responder references a PF regular, Jim Hardy, who has posted helpful information on this topic, with a link to a PF search and a specific thread. They also mention that Jim Hardy has sadly passed away, but his posts are still a valuable resource.
ovi85
Greetings
This query is regarding a 5 wire induction motor without a wiring diagram from a washing machine, one permanent capacitor, no centrifugal switch. here its 240v 50hz
I would appreciate someone explaining how to actually figure out the connections after measuring the resistance of the terminals against each other with various ohm readings, I want to learn this procedure.
I will include here the chart from measuring resistance between the wires, and someone could tell me do this and that to get it run, that's ok..
green-brown 92ohm
green-orange 140.1ohm
green-blue 86.9ohm
green-white 73.3ohm
brown-orange 106.1ohm
brown-blue 89ohm
brown-white 75.3ohm
orange-blue 44.8ohm
orange-white 31ohm
white-blue 14ohm
IMG_0649[1].JPG

But in general as well if someone could write down instructions of how to figure out the connections in any induction motor when I have the information of the resistance of wires to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
It just so happens that we had a PF regular, Jim Hardy, who posted much information on your question. Using old washing machine motors was one of his passions.

Sadly, Jim passed away this year, but the following PF search will surely find your answer.

https://www.physicsforums.com/searc...e+motor+wiring&c[users]=jim+hardy&o=relevance
This is a good one. A veritable JH textbook.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...g-machine-motor-to-power-a-grain-mill.833300/

Likes berkeman
Thanks for your references

1. How do I determine the correct wiring for a permanent split capacitor motor?

The correct wiring for a permanent split capacitor motor can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's instructions or the motor's wiring diagram. It is important to follow the designated wiring method to ensure proper functioning and avoid any potential hazards.

2. What is the purpose of a permanent split capacitor in a motor?

A permanent split capacitor (PSC) is a type of capacitor used in single-phase electric motors. Its main purpose is to provide a phase shift to the motor's starting winding, which helps to increase the starting torque and efficiency of the motor.

3. Can a permanent split capacitor motor be reversed?

Yes, a permanent split capacitor motor can be reversed by simply swapping the connections of the starting winding and running winding. However, it is important to note that reversing the motor may affect its performance and should only be done if necessary.

4. How do I troubleshoot a permanent split capacitor motor?

If a permanent split capacitor motor is not functioning properly, it is important to first check the power supply and ensure that the wiring is correct. If the motor still does not work, it may be necessary to check the capacitor for any damage or defects and replace it if needed.

5. Can a permanent split capacitor motor be used with a variable frequency drive (VFD)?

Yes, permanent split capacitor motors can be used with VFDs, but it is important to select a VFD that is compatible with PSC motors. It is also recommended to consult the motor manufacturer for specific guidelines and recommendations for using a VFD with the motor.