Wiring functioning prior to fusing?

• Thread starter PhiowPhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wiring
In summary,-18AWG wire is rated for 7 amps, not 75.-To get 75 A, you need 4AWG or better.-Depending on price of copper, #18 90degC might be cheaper than #16 60degC.-At 75 amps, a 5degF rise in temperature is expected.-If the wire is not continuous from end to end, it is scary.-Wall sockets will not support the current drawn by a cord with that rating.
PhiowPhi
I have a wire of a certain volume, the fuse current is rated at 82A(18AWG wire), can the wire still function normally at 70-75A continuously? I understand that at 82A the wire will melt, but can it still function normally at 75A? The resistance of the wire is about 0.042 ohms, just wanted to see if it can handle that amount of current, would the insulator melt?

Maybe provided with reasonable cooling or heat transfer system, we could make it beyond 82A maybe to 100A+?

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhiowPhi said:
I have a wire of a certain volume, the fuse current is rated at 82A(18AWG wire), can the wire still function normally at 70-75A continuously? I understand that at 82A the wire will melt, but can it still function normally at 75A? The resistance of the wire is about 0.042 ohms, just wanted to see if it can handle that amount of current, would the insulator melt?

Maybe provided with reasonable cooling or heat transfer system, we could make it beyond 82A maybe to 100A+?
What's the application? Can you provide a lot more information about this?

PhiowPhi said:

Whoa, my chart says that 18AWG wire is rated for 7 amps, not 75. To get 75 A, you need 4AWG or better.

The conditions for ampacity of a given gauge are:
Conductor ampacity based on copper conductors with 75°C or higher insulation in an ambient temperature of 30°C

Likes berkeman
@ Mr Phi
Have you used a vacuum sweeper at home? MIne says it's 10 amps and the cord is 18 AWG and the cord gets warm to the touch when i vacuum the floor.
10 amps is the rating for #18 portable cord with 90 degC insulation, type SJOOW
http://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=portable-cord-sjoow-cable
and the vacuum cleaner factory uses the smallest they can get away with .
Depending on price of copper, #18 90degC might be cheaper than #16 60degC .What would be the temperature rise at 75 amps ?
(75/10)2 X whatever is temperature rise at 10 amps?
Precise measurements by UnScientificWildA**Guess method indicate a modest 5degF rise at 10 amps,
so at 75 amps i'd expect a (75/10)2 X 5 = 187.5 degF rise.
And that'd raise the resistance of the copper by 0.004 per degC ,
and 187.5/1.8 X .004 = 75% more ohms,
further increasing power dissipated in the cord hence raising its temperature even more.
That's Thermal Runaway, where the positive feedback takes over, and it's how fuses work.

Probably your 80 amp melt current for #18 is for bare wire in air , not insulated and not in conduit. Did they give a time?

Tap into your everyday experiences when contemplating such musings. Learning is mostly discovering what you already know.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189 and berkeman
jim hardy said:
Probably your 80 amp melt current for #18 is for bare wire in air , not insulated and not in conduit

You mean melting point for solid wire bare in air. Cheap stranded house wire is not braided or twisted, short strands are just laid into a channel of the insulator. So the wire fails at the insulator's melt temperature, not the metal's melt temperature. Buy an extension cord in the dollar store, then cut open the wire to see what I mean. It is shocking (no pun) to see how little metal they put in those cords, and if they show an AWG rating on the label, I doubt if it is accurate.

anorlunda said:
short strands are just laid into a channel of the insulator.

You mean they're not even continuous from end to end ? That's scary.

jim hardy said:
You mean they're not even continuous from end to end ? That's scary.
Agreed, that is scary. I haven't seen that myself, but I don't take apart inexpensive cords or wire. Yikes.

Worse yet is the termination in the molded wall plug. Talk about getting warm.

dlgoff said:
Worse yet is the termination in the molded wall plug. Talk about getting warm.
Yeah, no wall socket will support that current. Thread closed.

@PhiowPhi -- PM me the answers to my questions, and I'll re-open the thread...

1. What is the purpose of wiring functioning prior to fusing?

The purpose of wiring functioning prior to fusing is to ensure that all electrical connections are properly made and that the circuit is functioning correctly before adding the final safety measure of a fuse.

2. Why is it important to check wiring functioning before installing fuses?

It is important to check wiring functioning before installing fuses because if there are any faults or incorrect connections, the fuse will not be able to protect the circuit and could potentially lead to electrical hazards.

3. What are the potential dangers of not checking wiring functioning before fusing?

The potential dangers of not checking wiring functioning before fusing include electrical fires, shocks, and damage to electrical devices. If the wiring is not functioning properly, the fuse will not be able to protect the circuit and these hazards can occur.

4. How can I check the functioning of wiring before fusing?

You can check the functioning of wiring before fusing by using a multimeter to test for continuity and correct voltage in the circuit. You can also visually inspect the wiring for any loose connections or damaged wires.

5. Is it necessary to always check wiring functioning before fusing?

Yes, it is necessary to always check wiring functioning before fusing. This is an important safety measure that should always be followed to ensure the proper functioning and protection of electrical circuits.