With how many ways can we choose disjoint subsets?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary: There is only 1 way where each element is in C.But it is also possible that A is empty and B is not empty.This is also not allowed. (Worried)
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello again! :D

I am given the following exercise:
With how many ways can we choose disjoint subsets $A$ and $B$ of the set $[n]=\{1,2, \dots,n \}$,if we require that the sets $A$ and $B$ are non-empty.

Without the requirement,it would be like that:
For each element $i$,we have: $i \in A, i \in B \text{ or } i \notin A \cup B$.
So,the result would be $3 \cdots 3=3^n$.

At the case when we have the requirement,I thought that each element $i$ ,except from $2$,have $3$ choices ($i \in A, i \in B \text{ or } i \notin A \cup B$) .
Each of the $2$ elements that remain has only one choice,the one should belong in $A$ and the other one in $B$.Then the result would be $3^{n-2} \cdot 1 \cdot 1$.

Could you tell me if it is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello again! :D

I am given the following exercise:
With how many ways can we choose disjoint subsets $A$ and $B$ of the set $[n]=\{1,2, \dots,n \}$,if we require that the sets $A$ and $B$ are non-empty.

Without the requirement,it would be like that:
For each element $i$,we have: $i \in A, i \in B \text{ or } i \notin A \cup B$.
So,the result would be $3 \cdots 3=3^n$.

At the case when we have the requirement,I thought that each element $i$ ,except from $2$,have $3$ choices ($i \in A, i \in B \text{ or } i \notin A \cup B$) .
Each of the $2$ elements that remain has only one choice,the one should belong in $A$ and the other one in $B$.Then the result would be $3^{n-2} \cdot 1 \cdot 1$.

Could you tell me if it is right?

Hi! :eek:

Let's see...

Let's call $C = (A \cup B)^c$.

Suppose we divide the first n-2 element more or less equally.
Then, at the end the sets are not empty, so we still have 3 choices for each of the last 2 elements.

Now suppose we put the first n-2 elements in C, then we still have 2 choices for the next element, which will have to go in either A or B. And finally we are left with 1 choice for the last element.

In other words, I do not think it is right. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hi! :eek:

Let's see...

Let's call $C = (A \cup B)^c$.

Suppose we divide the first n-2 element more or less equally.
Then, at the end the sets are not empty, so we still have 3 choices for each of the last 2 elements.

Now suppose we put the first n-2 elements in C, then we still have 2 choices for the next element, which will have to go in either A or B. And finally we are left with 1 choice for the last element.

In other words, I do not think it is right. (Thinking)
So,is it like that: $3^{n-2} \cdot 2 \cdot 1$,because of the fact that the $n-1$th element has two choices,to belong in $A$ or in $B$ and the last has one choice,to belong in the set in which the previous does not belong? (Thinking)(Blush)

evinda said:
So,is it like that: $3^{n-2} \cdot 2 \cdot 1$,because of the fact that the $n-1$th element has two choices,to belong in $A$ or in $B$ and the last has one choice,to belong in the set in which the previous does not belong? (Thinking)(Blush)

Not if we begin with dividing elements equally, so that at the end neither set is empty... (Dull)

I like Serena said:
Not if we begin with dividing elements equally, so that at the end neither set is empty... (Dull)

Oh,yes..right! But..how can I find then the number of ways we can choose disjoint subsets $A$ and $B$?? Could you give me a hint?? (Blush) (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh,yes..right! But..how can I find then the number of ways we can choose disjoint subsets $A$ and $B$?? Could you give me a hint?? (Blush) (Thinking)

You've already found the number of ways if there were no conditions.

Suppose you counted the number of ways that are not allowed? (Wondering)
Then you can subtract that.

I like Serena said:
You've already found the number of ways if there were no conditions.

Suppose you counted the number of ways that are not allowed? (Wondering)
Then you can subtract that.

It is not allowed that each element $i$ belongs in $C = (A \cup B)^c$. But how can I find the number,that corresponds to it ? :confused: (Thinking)

evinda said:
It is not allowed that each element $i$ belongs in $C = (A \cup B)^c$. But how can I find the number,that corresponds to it ? :confused: (Thinking)

There is only 1 way where each element is in C.

But it is also possible that A is empty and B is not empty.
This is also not allowed. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
There is only 1 way where each element is in C.

But it is also possible that A is empty and B is not empty.
This is also not allowed. (Worried)

Is it maybe $3^n-2^n$ ? :confused: We subtract $2^n$,since each element $i$ has $2$ choices, $i \in B \text{ or } i \in C$,so we substract the case where $A$ is empty and if all $i$ belong in $C$, we substract also the case where $B$ is empty.. (Blush)
Is it right or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is it maybe $3^n-2^n$ ? :confused: We subtract $2^n$,since each element $i$ has $2$ choices, $i \in B \text{ or } i \in C$,so we substract the case where $A$ is empty and if all $i$ belong in $C$, we substract also the case where $B$ is empty.. (Blush)
Is it right or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Let's focus on the number of cases that is disallowed.

If A is empty we would indeed have $2^n$ ways that are disallowed.

What if B is empty? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let's focus on the number of cases that is disallowed.

If A is empty we would indeed have $2^n$ ways that are disallowed.

What if B is empty? (Wondering)

Then there are again $2^n$ ways that are disallowed,or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Then there are again $2^n$ ways that are disallowed,or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Yep.
Mmmh... how many does that make? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yep.
Mmmh... how many does that make? (Wondering)

So,do we have to substract $2^{2n}$ ? :confused:

evinda said:
So,do we have to substract $2^{2n}$ ? :confused:

Well... we have $2^n$ ways that A is empty and we have $2^n$ ways that B is empty.
That is $2^n + 2^n$ ways.
I don't think that is equal to $2^{2n}$. :eek:

Furthermore, we are counting one case double.
Because 1 of those $2^n$ ways is when both A and B are empty.
So the number to subtract is $2^n + 2^n - 1$.

I like Serena said:
Well... we have $2^n$ ways that A is empty and we have $2^n$ ways that B is empty.
That is $2^n + 2^n$ ways.
I don't think that is equal to $2^{2n}$. :eek:

Furthermore, we are counting one case double.
Because 1 of those $2^n$ ways is when both A and B are empty.
So the number to subtract is $2^n + 2^n - 1$.

I understand..Thank you very much! (Party)

1. How many ways can we choose disjoint subsets from a set of n elements?

The number of ways to choose disjoint subsets from a set of n elements is 2n. This means that for every element in the set, there are two choices - either it is included in a subset or it is not. Therefore, the total number of ways to choose disjoint subsets is 2n.

2. Can we choose all the subsets from a set of n elements?

Yes, we can choose all the subsets from a set of n elements by including all the elements in one subset and excluding each element in different subsets. This will result in 2n - 1 subsets, as the empty set is not considered a subset.

3. How many subsets can we choose if there are duplicate elements in the set?

If there are duplicate elements in the set, the number of subsets we can choose will be less than 2n. This is because including both the duplicate elements in a subset will result in the same subset. The exact number of subsets will depend on the number of duplicate elements present in the set.

4. Is the order of elements important when choosing disjoint subsets?

No, the order of elements is not important when choosing disjoint subsets. As long as the subsets are disjoint, the order in which the elements are chosen does not matter.

5. Are there any practical applications of choosing disjoint subsets?

Yes, choosing disjoint subsets has many practical applications in fields such as statistics, computer science, and combinatorics. It is used in data analysis, pattern recognition, and problem-solving algorithms. It also has applications in designing experiments and in cryptography.