Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

With Kaluza Klein theory can electric field lines thought of differently?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Does Kaluza Klein theory allow one to think of the electric field lines of a point charge or a dipole differently. Is there any insight as to the nature of those field lines?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2
    Hi Spinnor.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by Kaluza Klein theory, I don't think so. At least not in an obvious way. What is you understanding of KK?

Kaluza Klein modes are additional massive particles that appear in an infinite tower as a result of making some degrees of freedom periodic over a manifold when compactifying a higher dimensional theory. (:bugeye:)

In such a theory your point charges would couple to the KK modes, I guess. If you started with a higher dimensional photon there'd be something like massive photons mediating the charge too. Is that what you were thinking?

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook