With Kaluza Klein theory can electric field lines thought of differently?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Spinnor
Gold Member
Messages
2,234
Reaction score
419
Does Kaluza Klein theory allow one to think of the electric field lines of a point charge or a dipole differently. Is there any insight as to the nature of those field lines?

Thanks for any help!
 
Attachments
  • Electric_dipole_field_.png
    Electric_dipole_field_.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 555
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Spinnor.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by Kaluza Klein theory, I don't think so. At least not in an obvious way. What is you understanding of KK?

Kaluza Klein modes are additional massive particles that appear in an infinite tower as a result of making some degrees of freedom periodic over a manifold when compactifying a higher dimensional theory. (:bugeye:)

In such a theory your point charges would couple to the KK modes, I guess. If you started with a higher dimensional photon there'd be something like massive photons mediating the charge too. Is that what you were thinking?