Wolverine's Broken Claws: The Story & Why It Persists

• Thread starter chhitiz
  • Start date
In summary: that's why i think this thread should be in the philosophy forum. it's a bit too meta for this section.
chhitiz
the story goes that one of wolverine's claws was broken by an enemy and has stayed so ever since. so they show with a broken claw whenever he is de-adamantiumised. but if he has a regenerating factor, shouldn't his claw have grown back?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol... I suppose you would have to ask the writers at marvel about this. Theoretically Wolverine could be capable of healing broken bone but not regenerating new bones to replace the old. So if his finger were to be cut off it would heal but could not generate a new finger. It would be a tad more realistic that way though I am unsure if his healing ability is portrayed in this manner in all of the comics.

And of course there is always the contrived idea that some particular person may have powers that allow them to damage him permanently.

It should grow back...his entire (adamantium) bone structure was ripped out by Magneto once, and it all grew back, including the claws. Iono why this one doesn't grow back...

Matterwave said:
It should grow back...his entire (adamantium) bone structure was ripped out by Magneto once, and it all grew back, including the claws. Iono why this one doesn't grow back...

I thought Magneto just removed the metal from his bones. Of course if he can recover from that he ought to be able to regenerate a claw.

I mean, all his bones are metal...so removing the metal removed everything that was his bone structure right? I'm not sure about this...

Shouldn't this thread be in the philosophy forum?
:wink:

f95toli said:
Shouldn't this thread be in the philosophy forum?
:wink:

I agree. This thread is of prime philosophical importance!

Matterwave said:
I mean, all his bones are metal...so removing the metal removed everything that was his bone structure right? I'm not sure about this...

His bones were coated with 'adamantium' in the weapon x program. Otherwise he has "normal" bones. His claws as well were bone originally then coated in the same process. The Wolverine movie may not have been very good but they did get a lot of things right (not sure if you watched it). I never read the comics where the particular incident took place, so I'm not sure exactly what was supposed to happen, but from what I was told it was just the metal coating.

</geek>

no,no,no. the adamantium is bonded to his bones. every pore of his marrow is coated with adamantium. its like the microscopic sponge like holes that the bones have, are all there, you know, but every microscopic surface has a coating of adamantium. and, of the recent(kind of) comics, if you have read civil war, he actually has a 'regenerating' and not just healing factor. that's one of the reasons i suspect he is so hairy.
and the movie was a pile of ****

I think his Adamantium-laced bones did an awesome job of reducing his mass by about ten-fold.

This was apparent in the Hummer+helicopter attack in the first half of the film.
He can change direction at will - from a motorcycle moving full-speed right, to a Hummer moving full speed left, to a helicopter moving full-speed right.

That's where my suspension of disbelief snapped.

It's been a while since I read the comics and other novels, but my understanding is that Wolverine has already had claws, and they are made of a bone-like material. The X-Weapon project coated them with adamantium just as his skeleton was. I do recall in one novel, "Weapon-X" I think, that the pores within his skeletal structure had to have "nano-valves" put in place to allow his bones to still receive blood and all once they were coated in the adamantium. There was a scene that novel that when Wolverine went berserk in the facility, he had molten metal poured over him, burning off most of his flesh and muscles, yet he was able to regenerate/heal from that amount of damage.

Insanity said:
It's been a while since I read the comics and other novels, but my understanding is that Wolverine has already had claws, and they are made of a bone-like material. The X-Weapon project coated them with adamantium just as his skeleton was.
That is exactly how they portrayed it in the film.

DaveC426913 said:
I think his Adamantium-laced bones did an awesome job of reducing his mass by about ten-fold.

This was apparent in the Hummer+helicopter attack in the first half of the film.
He can change direction at will - from a motorcycle moving full-speed right, to a Hummer moving full speed left, to a helicopter moving full-speed right.

That's where my suspension of disbelief snapped.

you are being sarcastic, right?

chhitiz said:
you are being sarcastic, right?
Yes. See the last line I typed.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. See the last line I typed.
nailed it

What are Wolverine's broken claws and why is it a significant part of his story?

Wolverine's broken claws refer to the iconic character's trademark adamantium claws, which were damaged and broken off during a battle with Magneto. This event is significant because it not only showcases Wolverine's vulnerability, but also leads to a major shift in his character development.

How did Wolverine's claws break and what happened afterwards?

Wolverine's claws broke during a fight with Magneto when the powerful mutant ripped the adamantium from his body. After the incident, Wolverine's healing factor kicked in and he was able to regrow his claws, but they were now bone instead of adamantium. This led to a change in his fighting style and a deeper exploration of his character's inner turmoil.

Why does Wolverine's adamantium claws persist as a significant aspect of his story?

Wolverine's adamantium claws have become a defining feature of his character and are closely tied to his identity. They represent his physical and emotional strength, as well as his struggle with his animalistic nature. The broken claws serve as a reminder of the challenges he has faced and overcome, making them a crucial part of his story.

How have Wolverine's broken claws impacted his relationships with other characters?

The broken claws have had a significant impact on Wolverine's relationships with other characters. They have caused him to feel more vulnerable and struggle with his sense of self, leading to conflicts with other mutants such as Cyclops and Sabretooth. However, they have also brought him closer to characters like Jean Grey who help him cope with his trauma.

Has there been any resolution to Wolverine's broken claws?

Yes, there have been various attempts to repair Wolverine's broken claws over the years. In the comics, he temporarily received a new set of adamantium claws thanks to Apocalypse and later regained his original claws through a deal with a demon. In the movies, his claws were restored by Magneto using his powers. However, the broken claws continue to be a defining part of Wolverine's story and are often revisited in different storylines.