Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Women cause earthquakes?

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I don't know what to say about this other than to wonder what this guy was thinking. :rolleyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iran_earthquakes_promiscuity" [Broken]

I love the reaction though. http://www.news.com.au/technology/boobquake-determined-to-prove-cleric-wrong/story-e6frfro0-1225856787031" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

I just read the title and go crazy laughing, I thought this's a joke.

Wait a minute… did he mean that literally?

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooops, sorry, that last one was me...my blouse came unbuttoned :redface:. My bad!

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4
    I remember reading about this a couple weeks ago.

I Lol'd.

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
    Perhaps he will cite an increased number of traffic accidents as the consequence of the "boobquake".

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6
    A classic example of women's rights in islam. Didn't you know? Women = evil. :p

8. Apr 27, 2010 #7
  9. Apr 28, 2010 #8

drizzle

Gold Member

Put whatever you like other than that, cause I won't buy it.

10. Apr 28, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

There are religious nuts in every society. We have "Christian" fundamentalist preachers claiming that liberalism and tolerance toward gays is angering God, who allows us to be attacked by terrorists, natural disasters, etc as punishment for our "sins". I don't see a significant difference between their irrational views and the irrational views of the cleric.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Apr 28, 2010 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Apr 28, 2010 #11
    Indeed, we have Pat Robertson :(

13. Apr 28, 2010 #12
    Even if they did, how would he know that they're the reason?

Is promiscuity really the worst thing going on right now? If god was to make an earthquake over something, that would probably be far down on his list.
    That's like someone running a red light and smashing into my car and then me getting angry only because I spilled my drink.

14. Apr 28, 2010 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Who caused the unpronounceable volcano in Iceland to erupt? Lady Gaga?

15. Apr 28, 2010 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that was Pat Robertson - he must have annoyed Pele.

16. Apr 28, 2010 #15
    The missus always made the earth move under my feet.

17. Apr 30, 2010 #16
    the title is highly unethical and should have received universal condemnation if attempted to blame islam somehow.....we need to realize that women make half of world population....they are not baby-producing machines but humans like men and must be treated that way...even in the so called civilized societies women do face momentous problems.e.g. women recruited in US army are subjected to so many shameful situations. so the thing is we need to realize and give women their due rights.

18. Apr 30, 2010 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Catch a clue. There is nothing unethical about the title. Where do you think anyone blamed Islam for anything? I don't care who that person was or what his religion is. His statement is beyond stupid - just like the US Congressman who said that Guam might tip over if we put too many troops there.

19. Apr 30, 2010 #18

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Which are...?

20. Apr 30, 2010 #19
    This should not be surprising. It has always been the role of religion (pretty much like, all of them, ever) to claim disasters are supernatural occurrences that result as punishments for violation of a moral code. It is this very claim, the ability to prevent the unpredictably (or seemingly unpredictably) catastrophic, and to utilize such fear to reinforce social stability.

The status of gender equality in America is a separate topic, but women's rights in secular versus fundamentalist societies is no contest. Let's not pretend income gaps are the same thing as getting acid thrown in your face for learning to read.

21. Apr 30, 2010 #20

drizzle

Gold Member

I don’t know what religion you are referring to by that, but suppose you mean Islam [and btw, I suggest you read before judging]: just so you know, the first word in the first verse that descended in the Qur’an was ‘IQRA’ which means read or recite.

TMQ, 96:1-5.

22. Apr 30, 2010 #21
    He is referring to Pakistan, Afghanistan and many other countries that have fundamentalist societies I believe. Religion has nothing to do with it but it's the abuse of the religions that is interfering with the basic human rights. You can derive infinite different interpretations of the religious quotes so they are pretty much meaningless to justify anything.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook