How many cats remained after women in West Cornwall lost sacks and cats?

In summary, the number of cats remaining after a third of the women in West Cornwall lost half their sacks was wsc/6.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

In West Cornwall, I met w women each carrying s sacks, each containing c cats. However, a third of the women then lost half their sacks, and the remaining women lost half their cats from a third of their sacks. How many cats remained, it terms of w, s and c?2. The attempt at a solution

w.s.c - (1/3w.1/2s) - (2/3w.1/2c.1/3s)

. = multiplication?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost. Consider the case w=3, s=2, c=100, and ignore the cat losses for now (so just 1/3 of the women loses 1/2 their sacks). Can w.s.c - (1/3w.1/2s) be true?

* is the usual (ascii) multiplication sign.

Hallsoflvy why is (w/3)(s/2) sacks so wsc/6 cats. I do not understand this part...

(w/3)(s/2) = 2w3s/6

Natasha1 said:
Hallsoflvy why is (w/3)(s/2) sacks so wsc/6 cats. I do not understand this part...

(w/3)(s/2) = 2w3s/6

The correct result is as HallsofIvy says:
[tex] \frac{w}{3} \frac{s}{2} = \frac{ws}{6} [/tex]
You multiply the numerators together to get the new numerator, and multiply the denominators together to get the new denominator. Why would you think otherwise?

Last edited:
(w/3)(s/2) = (ws/6)

then

(2/3w)(s/3)(c/2) = wsc/9

How did Hallsoflvy get to 11 wsc/6

I get (w/3)(s/2)(c/1) = wsc/6
and
(2/3w)(s/3)(c/2) = wsc/9

Hence
wsc/6 + wsc/9 = 5wsc/18

Last edited:
Natasha1 said:
I get (w/3)(s/2)(c/1) = wsc/6
and
(2/3w)(s/3)(c/2) = wsc/9

Hence
wsc/6 + wsc/9 = 5wsc/18
Subtract that from the total, and you get the same result as me.

swc - 5wsc/18 = 13wsc/18 (is this correct?)

Natasha1 said:
swc - 5wsc/18 = 13wsc/18 (is this correct?)

You need to get into the habit of testing answers with some real numbers. This sort of problem should be easy to check. Try, for example:

w = 3, s = 6, c = 10

It's even a good idea to work out the problem with these actual numbers first, to establish the pattern of the solution. Then, extend your specific solution using 3, 6, 10 to a general one using w, s, c.

1. What is "Women, sacks and cats algebra"?

"Women, sacks and cats algebra" is a humorous mathematical concept that uses the number of women, sacks, and cats to represent different variables in an equation. It is not a real mathematical theory, but rather a joke or puzzle.

2. Where did the term "Women, sacks and cats algebra" originate?

The origins of this term are unknown, but it is believed to have been used in various math puzzles and riddles since the early 20th century. It may have been popularized by mathematicians or educators as a way to make math more fun and engaging.

3. How does "Women, sacks and cats algebra" work?

In this concept, the number of women represents the variable "w," the number of sacks represents the variable "s," and the number of cats represents the variable "c." These variables can be used in equations to represent different scenarios, such as "w + s = c" or "w * c = s." The goal is to use logic and algebraic principles to solve the equations and determine the values of each variable.

4. Is "Women, sacks and cats algebra" a real branch of mathematics?

No, "Women, sacks and cats algebra" is not a real branch of mathematics. It is simply a creative and playful way to use algebraic concepts to solve puzzles and riddles.

5. What is the purpose of "Women, sacks and cats algebra"?

The purpose of "Women, sacks and cats algebra" is to make math more enjoyable and engaging. It can also help improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. However, it should not be considered a serious or legitimate branch of mathematics.