Wood Ash vs Charcoal Fertilizer: Comparing Nutrients

• Thread starter gary350
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wood
In summary: If you are considering adding charcoal to your soil, it is important to read the ingredients and understand what it will do.
gary350
I took 2 chemistry classes in college but that was 50 years ago, I have forgotten more than I ever knew. I watched several educational chemistry classes on YouTube then realized it will be a very long time before I can answer this question on my own.

Questions is. Wood ash is an excellent garden fertilizer it contains 20% to 30% calcium depending on the wood that is burned plus it contains, phosphorus and potash = potassium and several trace elements. Wood ash fertilizer is 0-1-3 or 0-1-4 depending on what type wood is burned. 1st number 0 is nitrogen. 2nd number 1 is phosphorus, 3nd number is potassium. After burning a pile of wood there is about 10% charcoal that does not burn up. I assume charcoal contains the same amount of, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, trace elements, as wood ash is that correct? If so then powder charcoal should be a good 0-1-3 or 0-1-4 fertilizer too?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do know: charcoal would have those nutrients, and slightly more. Because some nutrients are lost during burning through particulates leaving with the smoke. So not all the nutrients make it into ash residue. The nutrients are there, but they may be bound up and slower to utilize for plants.

Also ash can change the pH (acidity) of soils. - see 'using wood ash as a liming agent' in the blue link below.

This is the USDA extension service publication on using ash for fertilizer - from U Maine
https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2279e/

This has everything you need to know

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Asymptotic and BillTre
gary350 said:
...If so then powder charcoal should be a good 0-1-3 or 0-1-4 fertilizer too?
Nope! You need to reduce the wood entirely to ash to see those numbers. The ash contains no carbon but the charcoal has a significant amount. You will have the P and K but it will be diluted by the remaining carbon in the charcoal. No way for us to tell you just what the NPK values would be for the charcoal. A guess would be something on the order of 0-0.25-0.75 or less.

On the other hand, maybe you should check on 'biochar' first, before deciding on further action.

Rive said:
On the other hand, maybe you should check on 'biochar' first, before deciding on further action.

I have been using wood ash in my vegetable garden for many years it works great potassium promotes lots of blossoms that turns into lots from vegetables and calcium prevents BER. I was told about Biochar and watched several video and read lots of information then tried it several times but I am not seeding the same good fertilizer from biochar I get from wood ash. Lots of biochar claims but no scientific facts. I know wood ash is instant food for plants, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, but charcoal does not seem to be instant food for plants. It seems to me charcoal is carbon just like dry dead plants are carbon they pull all the nitrogen from the soil so they can decompose.

gary350 said:
Lots of biochar claims but no scientific facts.
Sure, that happens every time something got hyped up. Your observation is right: the function of the charcoal in the soil is not directly a fertilizer, since it has barely anything what would be useful for plants. However it acts as a buffer and helps to retain nutrients, just like the natural compost/humus present in the soil: also, it should have no effect on nitrogen, unlike natural compost.
It also can modify the soil structure.

In short: if you already have the charcoal, then it would be a waste to not use it.

1. What is the difference between wood ash and charcoal fertilizer?

The main difference between wood ash and charcoal fertilizer is the source of the nutrients. Wood ash is made from burned wood and contains high levels of potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Charcoal fertilizer, on the other hand, is made from burned organic matter and contains high levels of carbon, which helps improve soil structure and water retention.

2. Which one is more effective as a fertilizer?

It depends on the type of soil and the specific nutrient needs of the plants. Wood ash is better for acidic soils, as it can help neutralize the pH and provide essential nutrients. Charcoal fertilizer, on the other hand, is better for improving soil structure and water retention, which can benefit plants in dry or sandy soils.

3. Can wood ash or charcoal fertilizer be used as a standalone fertilizer?

No, neither wood ash nor charcoal fertilizer should be used as a standalone fertilizer. They should be used in combination with other fertilizers to provide a balanced nutrient profile for plants. Additionally, using too much wood ash can raise the pH of the soil too high, which can be harmful to plants.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using wood ash or charcoal fertilizer?

There are a few potential risks and drawbacks to consider when using wood ash or charcoal fertilizer. Wood ash can be harmful to plants if used in excess, as it can raise the pH of the soil. Charcoal fertilizer can also be harmful if not properly aged or if it contains toxins from the burned organic matter. Additionally, both wood ash and charcoal fertilizer should not be used on acid-loving plants, such as blueberries or azaleas.

5. How should wood ash and charcoal fertilizer be applied?

Wood ash and charcoal fertilizer should be applied sparingly and mixed into the soil before planting. It is best to use a soil test to determine the specific nutrient needs of the soil and plants, and then apply the appropriate amount of wood ash or charcoal fertilizer. It is also important to regularly monitor the pH of the soil when using wood ash, as too much can be harmful to plants.