Wood-block Friction Launch Problem

In summary: I'm really lost...I found an example from my notes that is pretty similar to this question, and it had the equation:gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = aas well, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I fixed my arithmetic (which wasn't actually an error, I just didn't write it up on the post correctly), and I did the exact same steps as the notes to find the length of the ramp. -- After that, I just multiplied the length of the ramp by the Sin(25) to find the height... I still don't see where I'm going wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a wood block being launched up a wooden ramp
Shaku

Homework Statement

A 2.0kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 25° angle. The block's initial speed is 9.0m/s . The coefficient of kinetic friction of wood on wood is μk = 0.200.

a) What vertical height does the block reach above its starting point?
b) What speed does it have when it slides back down to its starting point?

Homework Equations

(solve this without using the conservation of energy equation -- the 1/2*m*v^2 one because we haven't gone over that in class yet)

Vf2 = Vi2+as

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a lot of different things, but my numbers just wouldn't work out.

I put my Y axis along the ramp, and my X axis perpendicular to the ramp.

For part a:
I know that I have to:
1) Find the acceleration (mgCos[itex]\theta[/itex] for X direction and mgSin[itex]\theta[/itex] for Y direction)

2) Somehow incorporate the friction into the acceleration (I have no idea how to do this... We haven't gone over anything like this in class yet, that's why I'm so confused on this extra credit problem!)

3) Plug the acceleration I found into the Vf2 equation to find s (height).

For part b:
I'd have to find the acceleration going downward incorporating the friction. But, again, I have absolutely no idea how to use the friction...My work so far:
I already have my axis set up and, for the most part, figured out. I'm still getting the wrong answer though.

Given:
2kg = 2kg(9.8) = 19.6N weight
Angle = 25°
Vi = 9m/s
μk = .2

X-axis is parallel to the ramp, Y axis is perpendicular to the ramp. Find the height (which is in the X direction).

Find ax:
Fgx + Fk = max
mgSin∅ + mMkCos∅ = max
gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = a
g(Sin∅ + MkCos∅) = a

9.8(Sin(25) + (9.8)(.2)(Cos(25)) = a
a = 5.918

Plug into Vf2 = Vi2 + ah
0 = 92 + (5.918)h
13.68 = h

But it said this answer for height was wrong... I'm not sure how to fix what I've done so far since to me it seems like it should work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shaku! :smile:
Shaku said:
2) Somehow incorporate the friction into the acceleration (I have no idea how to do this...

add (or, in this case, subtract) the two forces along the slope …

mgsinθ and the friction force :wink:

(and then of course divide by mass to get the acceleration: Ftotal = ma)

Draw the free body diagram and put ##\sum F = ma## The lynchpin is to point your x-axis along the slope.

Friction is ##f=\mu N## pointing opposite the direction of motion. ##N## is the normal force to the surface the friction is against. If the surface was horizontal, then ##f=\mu m g##
Encorporate it as another force on your free body diagram.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Shaku! :smile:

add (or, in this case, subtract) the two forces along the slope …

mgsinθ and the friction force :wink:

(and then of course divide by mass to get the acceleration: Ftotal = ma)

I need help on part a before I worry about part b. :P

I already have my axis set up and, for the most part, figured out. I'm still getting the wrong answer though.

Given:
Angle = 25°
Vi = 9m/s
μk = .2

X-axis is parallel to the ramp, Y axis is perpendicular to the ramp. Find the height (which is in the X direction).

Find ax:
Fgx + Fk = max
mgSin∅ + MkCos∅ = max
gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = a
g(Sin∅ + MkCos∅) = a

9.8(Sin(25) + .2(Cos(25)) = a
a = 5.198

Plug into Vf2 = Vi2 + ah
0 = 92 + (5.918)h
13.68 = h

But it said this answer for height was wrong... I'm not sure how to fix what I've done so far since to me it seems like it should work.

Shaku said:

Given:
Angle = 25°
Vi = 9m/s
μk = .2

Find ax:
Fgx + Fk = max
mgSin∅ + MkCos∅ = max
gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = a
g(Sin∅ + MkCos∅) = a

a = 5.198

Plug into Vf2 = Vi2 + ah
0 = 92 + (5.918)h
13.68 = h

That's because you just calculated the distance the block went in the x direction - along the ramp. You need the height. Take another look at you diagram - how do you get the height from a direction in x?

Simon Bridge said:
That's because you just calculated the distance the block went in the x direction - along the ramp. You need the height. Take another look at you diagram - how do you get the height from a direction in x?

Wouldn't it just be: 13.68*Sin(25)? I tried that too, but it still said it was wrong.

Then you need to look harder at your working:
mgSin∅ + MkCos∅ = max
gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = a
... how did you get from the top line to the next one?
a = 5.198
Check your arithmetic too.

Simon Bridge said:
Then you need to look harder at your working:... how did you get from the top line to the next one?
Check your arithmetic too.

mgSin∅ + mMkCos∅ = max
divide by m, you get:
gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = a

-9.8(Sin(25) + (-9.8).2(Cos(25)) = a
a = -5.918

Then, finding the distance along the ramp:
Vf2 = Vi2 + ah
0 = 92 - 5.918s (--distance along the ramp)
s = 81/5.918
s = 13.68

Then, finding the height:
13.68(Sin(25) = h
h = 5.78, which is the same as my previous answer...

I'm really lost...

Last edited:
I found an example from my notes that is pretty similar to this question, and it had the equation:

gSin∅ + MkgCos∅ = a

as well, so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. I fixed my arithmetic (which wasn't actually an error, I just didn't write it up on the post correctly), and I did the exact same steps as the notes to find the length of the ramp. -- After that, I just multiplied the length of the ramp by the Sin(angle) and I, theoretically, SHOULD have gotten the right answer.

I have no idea where I'm screwing this up.

what direction is the acceleration?

Simon Bridge said:
what direction is the acceleration?

It's negative, but that wouldn't change much in my final answer. Just an extra minus sign out front, and it's saying that that's wrong too.

Edit: Actually, it wouldn't change the answer at all as I had already done the calculations as if they were with a negative acceleration (I just wrote it down wrong).

See:
Vf2 = Vi2 + ah
0 = 92 - 5.918s (--distance along the ramp)
s = 81/5.918
s = 13.68

Which is the same thing.

You have to look harder: don't expect other people to spot this stuff - especially not if your reporting is full of typos.
Vf2 = Vi2 + ah
... is that the correct equation? It is hard to follow your work because you keep changing the variable name without warning. If you do this in work you hand in for marking, then it is costing you marks.

1. What is a wood-block friction launch problem?

A wood-block friction launch problem is a physics problem that involves launching a wooden block along a surface with a certain amount of friction. The goal is to calculate the velocity and distance the block will travel based on the given conditions.

2. How do you solve a wood-block friction launch problem?

To solve a wood-block friction launch problem, you will need to use the equations for Newton's second law of motion and the equations for friction. You will also need to consider the mass of the block, the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface, and the force applied to launch the block.

3. What factors affect the distance a wood-block will travel in a friction launch?

The distance a wood-block will travel in a friction launch is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface, and the force applied to launch the block. Additionally, the surface on which the block is launched and the angle at which it is launched can also affect the distance traveled.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact a wood-block friction launch?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance or friction between two surfaces. In a wood-block friction launch problem, a higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater amount of friction between the block and the surface, which will ultimately impact the distance the block travels. A lower coefficient of friction will result in less friction and a longer distance traveled.

5. Can a wood-block friction launch problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the principles of a wood-block friction launch problem can be applied to real-world situations, such as calculating the distance a car will travel when braking or predicting the motion of a projectile on a surface with friction. These problems are often used in engineering and physics to analyze and design various systems and objects.