1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word Problem ! Beginning Calculus

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1

I'm

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    A cyclist is riding on a path modeled by f(x)= 0.08x where f and f(x) are measured in miles. Find the rate of change in elevation when x = 2

2. Relevant equations

(f(∆x + x ) - f(x))/∆x
    ∆x[tex]\stackrel{lim}{\rightarrow}[/tex] 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I plugged everything into the formula and got

.00008 / .0001 = .08.

Is this the correct answer?
    I think I'm doing something wrong here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2009 #2
    So you got
    [tex]\lim_{\triangle x \rightarrow 0}\frac{f(\triangle x+x)+f(x)}{\triangle x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\triangle x \rightarrow 0}\frac{0.08(\triangle x+x) - 0.08x}{\triangle x}[/tex]

So yes, 0.08 is the final answer.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer looks correct, but it appears you didn't take the limit. Instead, you just plugged in an arbitrary value for [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. Just leave it as it is: what is [itex]f(x + \Delta x) - f(x)[/itex] when you plug in the definition of f?

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Make that "where x and f(x) are measured in miles."
    The answer is numerically correct, but you might need to give units, which are miles/mile. Note that the cyclist's path is a straight line whose slope can be determined merely by observation. The instantantaneous rate of change of f is going to be the same for all values of x, because the graph of f is straight line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook