Differential calculus, physics problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the modeling of a spring's motion using an exponential and sine or cosine function. The equation of motion was given as s(t) = 5e^-1.9t sin 2πt and the task was to find the velocity after t seconds. The attempted solution included using the chain and product rules to find the derivative of the position function, but it was marked incorrect. The student later realized that the question required a step by step differentiation and the velocity function was not needed until later in the problem.
dlp248

Homework Statement

The motion of a spring that is subject to a frictional force or a damping force (such as a shock absorber in a car) is often modeled by the product of an exponential function and a sine or cosine function. Suppose the equation of motion of a point on such a spring is
s(t) = 5e^−1.9t sin 2πt
where s is measured in centimeters and t in seconds. Find the velocity after t seconds. Graph both the position and velocity functions for 0 ≤ t ≤ 2.

Homework Equations

Chain rule: [f(g(x)]' = f'(g(x))g'(x)
Product rule: [f(x)g(x)]' = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck finding the velocity function. I believe that I have the correct derivative, however, I am being marked incorrect.

This is what I have done:

v(t) = (5e^-1.9t)(-1.9)sin(2πt)+(5e^-1.9t)cos(2πt)(2π)
v(t) = 5e^-1.9t[-1.9sin(2πt)+2π(cos(2πt)]

I haven't attempted the rest of the problem because I need the velocity function first.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlp248 said:

Homework Statement

The motion of a spring that is subject to a frictional force or a damping force (such as a shock absorber in a car) is often modeled by the product of an exponential function and a sine or cosine function. Suppose the equation of motion of a point on such a spring is
s(t) = 5e^−1.9t sin 2πt
where s is measured in centimeters and t in seconds. Find the velocity after t seconds. Graph both the position and velocity functions for 0 ≤ t ≤ 2.

Homework Equations

Chain rule: [f(g(x)]' = f'(g(x))g'(x)
Product rule: [f(x)g(x)]' = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck finding the velocity function. I believe that I have the correct derivative, however, I am being marked incorrect.

This is what I have done:

v(t) = (5e^-1.9t)(-1.9)sin(2πt)+(5e^-1.9t)cos(2πt)(2π)
v(t) = 5e^-1.9t[-1.9sin(2πt)+2π(cos(2πt)]

I haven't attempted the rest of the problem because I need the velocity function first.
It's not clear why your velocity function is being marked incorrect. Is it due to your work being examined by some computer response system?

Perhaps submitting a different version of the same function might help. I would try moving the constant 5 inside the [] brackets, leaving the exponential outside by itself.

I don't have much experience with such systems, but I can see why my late friend called computers "The Devil's Machine".

Thanks for getting back to me!

I was entering this function into a computer for grading. I ended up contacting my professor and she was able to point out to me that the question was asking for a step by step differentiation of the position function. So the velocity function that I found ended up not being needed until part three of the question. Why they do this to us I have no idea! It is frustrating beyond belief! Thank you again!

What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change in mathematical functions. It involves the use of derivatives to analyze the behavior of functions, and is used extensively in physics to solve problems involving motion, force, and other physical phenomena.

How is differential calculus used in physics?

Differential calculus is used in physics to study and analyze the behavior of physical systems. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving motion, such as calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. It is also used in determining the forces acting on an object and predicting its future motion.

What are some common applications of differential calculus in physics?

Some common applications of differential calculus in physics include analyzing the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, determining the optimal path for a moving object, and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits. It is also used in predicting the behavior of fluids and gases, and in solving problems related to heat transfer and thermodynamics.

What are the basic principles of differential calculus?

The basic principles of differential calculus include the concept of a derivative, which represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It also involves the use of limits, which are used to calculate derivatives and determine the behavior of functions at specific points. The chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule are also fundamental principles used in solving differential calculus problems.

What are some strategies for solving physics problems using differential calculus?

Some strategies for solving physics problems using differential calculus include identifying the variables and parameters involved, setting up the appropriate equations, and differentiating the equations to obtain the necessary information. It is also important to carefully analyze the given information and apply the appropriate principles and rules to arrive at a solution. Practice and familiarity with different types of problems can also improve problem-solving skills in this area.