Overwhelmed Student Struggling to Pass Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the person is taking their first Quantum Mechanics class and has already failed their first exam with a low score. They feel overwhelmed and are not sure where to start studying for their next exam. They have never taken a Linear Algebra course, which may be the reason for their struggles. The options are to continue studying and try to learn the necessary math, or to drop the course and take the necessary math courses before attempting the class again. The person received advice to focus on damage control and to try their best with what they have. They ended up with a C+, which they are relieved about. It is noted that Linear Algebra is important for understanding Quantum Mechanics.
Fjolvar
Hello.. I'm taking my first Quantum Mechanics class and I've already failed my first exam (20%) although the class average was about 40%, I feel that I may fail this semester which would set my graduation date back a year, ruin my gpa, and my chances of getting into a grad school I've picked out. I really enjoy the theory behind Quantum but I am lost by some of the math. The professor will go through the material very fast and do math techniques I cannot follow. I have another exam in about 10 days, but I feel like that won't be enough time to learn the material. I feel overwhelmed and I'm not really sure where to start since there is so much to learn. I did really well in my math courses receiving A's in my Calc classes and differential equations but I never took a Linear Algebra course specifically which may be part of the reason. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fjolvar said:
I never took a Linear Algebra course

I don't know much about QM, but I think it uses linear algebra and functional analysis very intensively. So the fact that you never took linear algebra, may account for the fact that you're not succeeding.

In my opinion, you got two options:
- continue with QM, and study hard to learn the linear algebra and functional analysis that you need. This will probably be quite heavy.
- drop the course, take the necessary linear algebra and functional analysis courses and take the course again next year. If you do well in the course next year, then I'm sure the grad schools will understand and they won't make a very big deal about it. But you will be losing a year...

I was in the exact same position. The prof was this German guy with a really thick accent. He went through the math at light speed, assigned no textbook, and had illegible writing. I went into a 45% final with an 83% and came out with a 59% in the course, my lowest mark ever, by far. I think I got 6% on the final exam...

I felt helpless. It seemed that no matter how much time I wanted to spend learning concepts, that I was ill equipped. I have no real advice for you, but I've been there done that.

Fjolvar said:
Hello.. I'm taking my first Quantum Mechanics class and I've already failed my first exam (20%) although the class average was about 40%, I feel that I may fail this semester which would set my graduation date back a year, ruin my gpa, and my chances of getting into a grad school I've picked out.

Two words. "Damage control."

If you can drop the class now, consider doing it.

If you can't then do as well as you can, and don't dwell on the past. If it looks like you are going to fail the class, then try for a D. If it looks like you are going to get a D, then put your effort into getting a C. The important thing is that if you mess up, you accept that you've messed up, and try to do the best with what you have. The problem is that if you dwell on how badly you did, then its going to make your performance worse than if you just let it slide and try to do the best with what you have.

I feel overwhelmed and I'm not really sure where to start since there is so much to learn. I did really well in my math courses receiving A's in my Calc classes and differential equations but I never took a Linear Algebra course specifically which may be part of the reason. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks.

Calm down, and get really familiar with the drop deadlines or rules on taking courses pass-fail. If you can drop the course or take the course pass-fail, consider doing it. If you can't drop the course, then absorb as much material as you can, and make the best of the situation, and if you fail the course, you'll should do better the next time.

Fjolvar said:
but I never took a Linear Algebra course.

That's where your problem lies! Quantum mechanics relies on the use of eigenspace and eigenfunctions which is taught in Linear Algebra. While some calculus is used in QM, Linear Algebra pops up more often.

Just wanted to follow up with this.. I ended up with a C+, my only C grade :( But I am relieved I didn't end up with a D or worse.

Congratulations! Could've been worse - could've been a C- :) I think you did very well, all things considered. It'd be like me taking my diff EQ's class without knowing how to calculate sequences and series.

What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a subatomic level. It is a fundamental theory that helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic scale.

Why do students struggle with Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics can be a challenging subject for students because it introduces abstract concepts and mathematical calculations that are not often encountered in everyday life. It also requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of classical mechanics.

How can I improve my understanding of Quantum Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of Quantum Mechanics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.

What are some common misconceptions about Quantum Mechanics?

One common misconception about Quantum Mechanics is that it only applies to very small particles such as atoms and molecules. In reality, it also applies to larger objects and can have macroscopic effects. Another misconception is that it is a purely theoretical field, when in fact it has many practical applications in technology and engineering.

How can I overcome feeling overwhelmed while studying Quantum Mechanics?

To overcome feelings of being overwhelmed while studying Quantum Mechanics, it is important to break down the material into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to take breaks and engage in activities that help relieve stress, such as exercise or spending time with friends. Seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also provide additional support and guidance.