Work and Energy of weightlifter

In summary, a weightlifter lifts a 44 kg barbell 24 times a day, expending 22,000 Joules of energy. However, due to a 25% efficiency, only 5,500 Joules actually go towards lifting the weight. In order to consume that amount of energy, the weightlifter can eat approximately 11.46 donuts per day.
paulsberardi

Homework Statement

A weightlifter works out at the gym each day. Part of her routine is to lie on her back and lift a 44 kg barbell straight up from chest height to full arm extension, a distance of 0.54 m.

Homework Equations

If the weightlifter does 24 repetitions a day, what total energy does she expend on lifting? Assume 25 % efficiency.

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at it, and could only see that the only change in energy is work. Work is 230J per repetition. I tried multiplying 230J by 24 in order to get the answer, but it was not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the efficiency? Only 25% efficiency means that 3/4 of the work done is wasted, and only 1/4 of it goes to actually lifting the weight.

Ya, I took the 230 J and multiplied it by 24, then by .25 but it won't accept the answer

paulsberardi said:
Ya, I took the 230 J and multiplied it by 24, then by .25 but it won't accept the answer

That's because multiplying it by 0.25 is not the right thing to do. You should read my post again, more carefully.

Ok I got the answer, its 22,000 Joules.
Part 3 of the question: How many 480 Calorie donuts can she eat a day to supply that energy?
I thought I could just convert the joules to calories by dividing by 4.184, then divide again by 480 to get number of donuts.

FAQ: Work and Energy of weightlifter

1. What is work and energy of a weightlifter?

The work and energy of a weightlifter refers to the amount of effort and force they use to lift weights. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it is moved, while energy is the ability to do work.

2. How does a weightlifter use energy to lift weights?

A weightlifter uses energy by contracting and relaxing their muscles to lift the weight. This energy is converted from chemical energy (stored in the body) to mechanical energy (used for movement) to overcome the force of gravity and lift the weight.

3. What factors affect the work and energy of a weightlifter?

The work and energy of a weightlifter can be affected by factors such as the weight of the object being lifted, the height it is lifted to, the speed at which it is lifted, and the number of repetitions performed. The weightlifter's own body weight, strength, and technique also play a role.

4. How is the work and energy of a weightlifter measured?

The work of a weightlifter is measured in joules (J) while the energy is measured in joules per second, also known as watts (W). These measurements can be calculated using the weight of the object lifted, the distance it is lifted, and the time it takes to lift it.

5. How does a weightlifter maintain their energy and stamina during a workout?

A weightlifter maintains their energy and stamina by following a healthy and balanced diet to provide the necessary nutrients for muscle function, staying hydrated, and getting enough rest and recovery time between workouts. They also use proper breathing techniques and pacing to conserve energy and avoid exhaustion.