Work done by a spring when stretched

In summary, a simple problem that i can't seem to get right requires -5.39 work to stretch the spring 0.70 m from its relaxed length.
bobby3280
I have a simple problem that i can't seem to get right.

An ideal spring has a spring constant k = 22.0 N/m. What is the amount of work that must be done to stretch the spring 0.70 m from its relaxed length?

I tried W = (-)1/2 k x^2
= - (.5)(22.0) (.7^2)
= -5.39
but this isn't correct any suggestions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have a minus sign?

Thanks, I had the minus sign becuase that is how the formula is in the book.

bobby3280 said:

Since this is a conservative system, the work done from point 1 to 2 equals the change of potential energy, i.e. W = V2 - V1. In your case V1 = 0 (the spring is relaxed), so W = V2, hence, there should not be any minus sign involved in the book.

bobby3280 said:
The formula for what? The energy stored in a spring equals 1/2kx^2 (no minus sign).

Um there is usually a minus sign isn't there? Because that equation is found by taking the intergral of Hooke's Law.

| means sigma for this because I can't find how to type it lol...

F=-Kx
W=|(fx)(dx)
W=|(-kx)(dx)
W=|-K(x^2/2)(dx)
W=-1/2Kx^2

I think that is right. And it makes sense because the work done by a spring is negative because it opposes an objects displacement.

Realize that the work done by the spring is the negative of the work required to stretch it (which was the question in this thread, despite the title). The work required to stretch (or compress) a spring is positive; the energy stored in a stretched (or compressed) spring is positive.

Oh, well that makes more sense. Didn't realize what was being asked.

1. How is work done by a spring when stretched calculated?

The work done by a spring when stretched is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched. This can be represented by the equation W = F * x, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and x is the distance the spring is stretched.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a spring when stretched?

The unit of measurement for work done by a spring when stretched is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure other forms of work and energy.

3. Is the work done by a spring when stretched positive or negative?

The work done by a spring when stretched is always positive. This is because the force applied and the distance stretched are in the same direction, resulting in a positive value for work done.

4. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the work done when stretched?

The stiffness of the spring, also known as the spring constant, affects the work done when stretched by determining the amount of force needed to stretch the spring a certain distance. A stiffer spring will require more force to stretch it, resulting in more work done.

5. Can work be done on a spring when it is compressed instead of stretched?

Yes, work can also be done on a spring when it is compressed. In this case, the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement, resulting in negative work done. This is because the energy is being stored in the spring rather than being exerted.