1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by expanding gas in a gun on a bullet

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    A 135 g bullet is fired from a rifle having a barrel 0.590 m long. Assuming the origin is placed where the bullet begins to move, the force (in newtons) exerted by the expanding gas on the bullet is 20000 + 8000x - 22000x2, where x is in meters.

(a) Determine the work done by the gas on the bullet as the bullet travels the length of the barrel.
    (b) If the barrel is 1.25 m long, how much work is done, and how does this value compare to the work calculated in part (a)?

For part A, i plugged in .590m into x for the equation of the force, multiplied that by .590 because W = Force x Distance, and since they wanted an answer in kJ i divided by 1000, but it says that my answer is incorrect. Any thoughts?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answer would be correct if the force is uniform (constant),but since it isn't, some calculus is required. Note that the formal definition of work done by a force is;

[tex]W=\int^{x_{1}}_{x_{0}} F(x) \;dx[/tex]
  4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    Wow, thanks. Never would have thought of that. Thanks to this forum for the first time ever I got a 100% on my physics homework :surprised
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?