1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by expanding gasses on bullet

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 95-g bullet is fired from a rifle having a barrel 0.540 m long. Choose the origin to be at the location where the bullet begins to move. Then the force (in newtons) exerted by the expanding gas on the bullet is 16200 + 9400x - 23750x2, where x is in meters.
    (a) Determine the work done by the gas on the bullet as the bullet travels the length of the barrel.

(b) If the barrel is 0.96 m long, how much work is done?

(c) How does this value compare with the work calculated in part (a)?(% difference)

2. Relevant equations

W = force * displacement

3. The attempt at a solution

after plugging in 0.54 in the force equation i got F = 14,350.5 N

then multiplied it by 0.54 to get work and got 7.75 kJ

same for the second part but i got both answers wrong, i thought it was a simple problem but i guess not.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that the force is a function of x. So, it is not a constant force. You need to know how to get the work done by a variable force.

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3
    so i basically need to do the integral F dot ds and then plug in the values?

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's it.

6. Oct 6, 2012 #5
    I should have realized that to begin with but thank you for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook