1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by force (Vector notation)

1. Apr 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much work is done by a force= (2x)i N + (3)j N with x in meters, that moves a particle from a position (initial) = (2m)i + (3m)j to a position (final) = (-4m)i + (-3m)j?

Answer:
    - 6 J

2. Relevant equations

Work = integral of Force

3. The attempt at a solution

W = [x^2] i + [3x] j
    W = [4^2 - 2^2] i + [3(-3) - 3(3)] j
    W = 12 i -18 j
    W magnitude = 21.6J

I realize I am doing this wrong becasue the Magnitude will always be positive and the answer (from back of book) is negative.

I tried this in a similar way where I took the difference between the two position vector and then placed it in the integral
    rd = (-6) i + (-6) j
    Got W = 36 i + 18 j
    still wrong.

Help, pretty please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2011 #2
    To save typing all the i's and j's, I'll use the notation (2,3) = 2i + 3j. I'll also cut corners by leaving out the units.

Assuming the movement is in a straight line, we can parameterize the particle's path from the initial point (2,3) to the final point (-4,-3) by an equation such as

[tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = (x,y) = (2,3) - t(6,6), \enspace 0 \leq t \leq 1.[/tex]

-(6,6) is the displacement vector from the initial point to the final point, that is, the difference between them.

Then [itex]x=2-6t[/itex], and

[tex]d\mathbf{r} = (dx,dy) = -(6,6) dt.[/tex]

So

[tex]\int_{\mathbf{r}(0)}^{\mathbf{r}(1)} \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) \cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

[tex]=\int_{(2,3)}^{(-4,-3)}(2x,3) \cdot (dx,dy) = \int_{0}^{1}(42-72t) \; dt = -6[/tex]

4. Apr 3, 2011 #3
    Thank you Rasalhague. But how did you get from (2x,3) to (42-72t)? I don't understand.

5. Apr 3, 2011 #4
    Oopsh, sorry, I missed out a minus in front of the integral on the right. Are the following steps clear?

[tex]x = 2 - 6t[/tex]

[tex](2x,3) = (2(2-6t),3) = (4-12t,3)[/tex]

[tex](4-12t,3) \cdot (-6,-6) = -6(4-12t) - 18 = -42 + 72t.[/itex]

-(6,6) comes from differentiating [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex].

6. Apr 9, 2011 #5
    Hi Rasalhague. Thank you for helping me.

My test is this Wednesday, but I have lots of other tests so sorry about the delay.

A couple things:

1) where did time come from? The question never mentioned it- only position.

2) I understand this:
    r = (-6) i + (-6) j
    r = -(6,6)

3) where does this come from: x=2-6t (I think this is an extension of being confused about the time)?

Why is integral not (x^2)i + (3x) j ???

Thank you again for your help and I am sorry if I am difficult.

7. Apr 10, 2011 #6
    The reason time confuses me is that isn't POWER change in work over time? I thought the difference between Force and power is whether your taking the derivative of work with respect to time or with respect to position....?

8. Apr 10, 2011 #7
    Okay, I figured out what I did wrong. I had this part right:

W = [x^2] i + [3x] j
    W = [4^2 - 2^2] i + [3(-3) - 3(3)] j
    W = 12 i -18 j

What I needed to do was subtract 18 from 12
    W = 12 - 18 = -6 (answer!)

I wasn't doing this becasue I thought they were sepearte becasue of the separate components. Wow, I can't believe I was so close for so long!

I still don't completely understand why you just add i and j together to find work instead of finding the magnitude... but it works for many similar book problems so I know this is the right way to do it.

Thanks for the help. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?