Work done by internal forces on a system of particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of work done by internal forces in a two-particle system and the difference in results obtained when using different frames of reference. It is mentioned that work and energy are frame variant, but energy is conserved within each frame. The question is raised about the total energy of the system remaining constant and the possibility of comparing the energy in different frames of reference.
Nikhil Rajagopalan
Dear Experts,
Trying to analyze the work done by internal forces in a very simple two particle system which is attracted to each other with a constant force, i performed calculations based on two frame of references, 1.The center or mass frame of reference and 2. Frame of reference of one of the particles say A.
Computing the work done by internal forces on a system of particles, under two different frame of references, i obtain two different answers.I have uploaded the image of the derivation.

The answers for the change in kinetic energy will be hence different in both frame of references. Is that normal?

What are the cases where the work done by internal forces becomes 1.zero, 2. positive, 3. negative ?

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikhil Rajagopalan said:
Computing the work done by internal forces on a system of particles, under two different frame of references, i obtain two different answers.
That is correct. Work is frame variant.

Nikhil Rajagopalan said:
The answers for the change in kinetic energy will be hence different in both frame of references. Is that normal
Yes. The important thing is that energy is conserved within each single frame. It doesn't matter that it is different from frame to frame.

Likes Nikhil Rajagopalan
Thank you Dale, i understand that the work depends on the frame of reference.
But is it true that the total energy of the system of particles must remain constant if there is no external work done on it, irrespective of the frame of reference. Is there any way i can compare the total energy of the system in different frame of references and show that they are all equal. Considering the problem i worked on in the image shared ?

1. What is "work done by internal forces"?

"Work done by internal forces" refers to the amount of energy transferred between particles within a system due to the application of internal forces. These forces can include gravitational, electric, or magnetic forces.

2. Why is it important to consider work done by internal forces?

Understanding the work done by internal forces is important because it allows us to analyze the changes in energy and motion within a system. This can help us predict the behavior of particles and determine the stability of a system.

3. How is work done by internal forces calculated?

The work done by internal forces is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the particles in the direction of the force. Mathematically, this can be represented as W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force, d is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

4. Can work done by internal forces be negative?

Yes, work done by internal forces can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This indicates that the internal forces are doing work against the motion of the particles.

5. How does work done by internal forces affect the total work done on a system?

Work done by internal forces is a component of the total work done on a system. It can either add to or subtract from the total work, depending on the direction of the force and displacement vectors. If the internal forces are the only forces acting on the system, then the work done by these forces will be equal to the total work done on the system.