Is the Work Done by Static Friction Always Zero in a Round Trip?

In summary: If you want to talk about a conservative force, you have to know what "conservative" means. One meaning is that the force forms a conservative vector field. I do not know any other meaning. So there we are.
anorlunda said:
Are you guys saying that if the coin is attached by welding rather than friction the coin still does work in certain reference frames?
Yes.
Are you rejecting the model of the coin-turntable system as a single rigid body?
No. It seems that you are rejecting the model of the coin-turntable system as having two bodies and, thus, rejecting the notion that there is any force in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
I'm feeling dense, not understanding what you're saying.

With static friction, there is no motion between the two objects. Relative motion is the only thing that differentiates static friction from kinetic friction.

The coin moves zero displacement relative to the turntable. Zero distance remains zero in all frames of reference.
The force of the coin on turntable is non-zero in all frames of reference.
The point where coin touches turntable has non-zero displacement in some frames of reference.
The force of coin on turntable does work in some frames of reference.

A correct point that you may be trying to make is that a static frictional 3rd law force pair does zero total work because the two component forces act at all times in equal and opposite directions on points of action that move identically. The force that A.T. and I are discussing is only one member of such a pair.

The force of turntable on coin does equal and opposite work in all frames of reference.

Last edited:
Who is going to blink first on this one?
No work is done ON the material which comprises the join between the two non slipping surfaces but, just as the person pushing is doing work and the final target of the work is having work done on it, you can say that the coin (or whatever) is 'doing work' on the rest of the chain.
It would be daft to say that the only places that work can be considered to be done is at two arbitrary points (the hand of the operator or the valve on the steam whistle).
Dressing it all up with Reference Frames and Third Law pairs is actually clouding the issue, rather than making it clearer. The fact is that Energy is transferred from somewhere to somewhere else by mechanical forces. It passes through every point in the chain.
Every force is one of a third law pair and those pairs are all the way along the chain. etc. etc.
Why don't both sides consider themselves 'right' and realize that this discussion has been done to death?

sophiecentaur said:
Who is going to blink first on this one?
No work is done ON the material which comprises the join between the two non slipping surfaces
Agreed. In principle anyway -- in the limit of focusing in tightly enough that the mass of said material is negligible. And counting the forces in both directions.
just as the person pushing is doing work and the final target of the work is having work done on it, you can say that the coin (or whatever) is 'doing work' on the rest of the chain.
Agreed.
It would be daft to say that the only places that work can be considered to be done is at two arbitrary points (the hand of the operator or the valve on the steam whistle).
Agreed. One can divide up complex mechanisms into component systems in lots and lots of ways. Accordingly, there are lots and lots of places where work can be considered to be done.
Dressing it all up with Reference Frames and Third Law pairs is actually clouding the issue, rather than making it clearer. The fact is that Energy is transferred from somewhere to somewhere else by mechanical forces. It passes through every point in the chain.
Agreed. Though, perhaps surprisingly, the direction in which energy passes along a particular chain can be frame dependent!

[I'll try not to argue about whether reference frames cloud or clear things]
Why don't both sides consider themselves 'right' and realize that this discussion has been done to death?
I shall try.

jbriggs444 said:
I shall try.
Go on go on go on. You know you want to. :smile:
jbriggs444 said:
Though, perhaps surprisingly, the direction in which energy passes along a particular chain can be frame dependent!
Oh yes. A car skidding to a halt or a car accelerating in reverse, and many others.

jbriggs444 said:
A correct point that you may be trying to make is that a static frictional 3rd law force pair does zero total work because the two component forces act at all times in equal and opposite directions on points of action that move identically. The force that A.T. and I are discussing is only one member of such a pair.

OK maybe we can agree with that definition. :olduhh:

Group hug now. :smile:

Likes jbriggs444
anorlunda said:
The coin moves zero displacement relative to the turntable.
Yes.
anorlunda said:
Zero distance remains zero in all frames of reference.
No. In frames where the coin moves the distance it travels is not zero.