1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done enclosing sphere with spherical shell - for tommorow!

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    Hi guys!
    I have been working on this question all day and am getting no where :cry: I really cant get to grips with Electromagnetism, arghh!
    The question is :http://www.zen96175.zen.co.uk/problem.GIF
    I would NOT like anyone to post a solution as its assessed work but I would IMMENSELY appreciate some pointers on how to get started on this...
    I have a few hours left to complete this, I hope somebody has a few pointers :!!) :smile:
    Thank you ,

~Gaz

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what have you done with this problem? If you show where you are stuck, it will be easier for us to help.

4. Feb 2, 2006 #3
    Hiya,
    Well, thats the point really, I need a little push to get me started!
    I am thinking it involves seeing how much work it takes to bring a hoop of charge from the spherical shell to the sphere, and then integrating over the whole shell. And then, integrate from r to a to make up the final large sphere is mentions? Pretty vague I know :cry:
    Just looking for some pointers if anyone can!

Thank you!
    ~Gareth

5. Feb 2, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you need to bring a hoop of charge, but you are on the right track. First find the work done in bringing the spherical shell from [itex] \infty [/itex] to [itex] r [/itex] and then integrate r from 0 to a.

To find the work done in bringing the shell, you will have to know the electric field due to sphere at the center, at a distance x and also the charge dq on the spherical shell (Hint: when the shell has finally enveloped the sphere, the charge dq is still going to be the same, so you can write dq in terms of r and dr). Then you can find the force on the spherical shell and hence the work done in bringing it to the sphere

I have not evaluated the double integral myself, but I think it should give you the answer.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  6. Feb 2, 2006 #5
    Phew, after a whole day on it, I think I have cracked it! This feeling is what makes physics and maths the greatest!!!!

Thanks for your help,
    ~Gareth

7. Feb 2, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Way to go, Gareth!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?