1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat diffusion in a spherical shell

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    Hey guys, I have a problem that is giving me trouble.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to solve time dependent diffusion equation ##D\nabla^2 T(r,t)=\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}## (##D## is diffusion constant and ##T(r,t)## is temperature function) for a spherical shell of radii ##r_1## and ##r_2## in a where inner and outer temperatures are constant at ##T_0## as shown in the picture, with initial condition ##T(r_1<r<r_2,t=0)=T_1##. Since problem is spherically symmetrical function ##T## is not dependent on asimutal and polar angle.
    COnUOfd.png

2. Relevant equations

By separating the variables (##T(r,t)=R(r)\tau (t)##) we obtain two equations:
    $$\nabla^2 R(r) + k^2 R(r) = 0$$
    $$\frac{\partial \tau(t)}{\partial t}\frac{1}{\tau(t)} = - k^2 D$$
    For time dependent part we get ##\tau(t)=C e^{-k^2DT}## and for the radial part a linear combination of spherical bessel functions of first (##j_0##) and second type (##n_0##) (only 0-th order because of symmetry) $$R(r) = \sum\limits_n [A_n j_0(k_n r) + B_n n_0(k_n r)]$$

Complete solution can then be written as:
    $$T(r,t) = \sum\limits_n [A_n j_0(k_n r) + B_n n_0(k_n r)]e^{-k^2_n DT} + T_0,$$
    with initial condition $$T(r_1<r<r_2,t=0)=T_1,$$
    and boundary conditions $$ T(r=r_1,t)=T(r=r_2,t)=T_0$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to get coefficients ##A_n##, ##B_n## and ##k_n##. I tried getting ##k_n## from zeroes of spherical bessel function ##j_0## but since the center of sphere is hollow I must not set ##B_n## to zero as I would in the case of a full sphere.

I can't seem to get any further than this and would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2
    At each value of n, the term in brackets must be zero at the two boundaries. This leads to two equations in two unknowns, for kn and Bn/An.

Chet

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you have a problem without angular dependence, I also suggest using the fact that ##j_0(x) \propto \sin x / x## and ##n_0(x) \propto \cos x / x##. This will let you work with trigonometric functions that you know rather than the spherical bessel functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted