1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done moving a test charge into conducting shell

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so I've read many of the threads on here and they all say the same thing. I think I understand the Gauss Law and the theory behind the spherical shell.

The question is this:

Find the WORK done bringing a test charge q from infinity to the center of a spherical shell of thickness T, radius R, and surface charge [itex]\sigma[/itex]. Assume the charge passes through an infinitesimal hole in the shell.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]W = q[\phi(inf)-\phi(r)] [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]W_{\infty, R+T} = q[\phi(\infty)-\phi(R+T)] = -\phi(R+T) [/itex]
    and
    [itex]W_{R+T,0} = q[\phi(R+T)-\phi(0)] = \phi(R+T) [/itex]

My second equation takes the 'fact' that [itex]E(r) = 0[/itex] inside the shell, resulting in a zero potential.
    The final result is that the total WORK = 0
    This is for a graduate class, and this result seems somewhat trivial. My other assumption is that the test charge induces an electric field inside the shell, but I do not think work can be done by moving the test charge through its own electric field? I could be totally wrong, and that's why I'm asking this question.

Any help clarifying my result would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2
    The electric field being zero inside the shell does not mean the potential is zero. Recall that electric field is the negative gradient of potential.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted