Work done for an adiabatic process

In summary, the equation for adiabats, V^{\gamma}P = C, assumes that the work done during the process is W = -P \Delta V. However, when calculating the work done using this equation, W = \frac{C}{1-\gamma}\left[ V^{1-\gamma}_{f} - V^{1-\gamma}_{i} \right] is obtained. It is also noted that the assumption of W = -P \Delta V is due to the process being quasi-static, which is used in the derivation. A quasi-static process refers to a process that occurs slowly enough for the system to remain in thermal equilibrium throughout.
A_B
Hi,

In deriving the equation for adiabats : [itex]V^{\gamma}P = C[/itex]. It is assumed that the work done during the process is [itex]W = -P \Delta V[/itex].

But calculating the work done from [itex]V^{\gamma}P = C[/itex] we obtain:

[tex] W = \frac{C}{1-\gamma}\left[ V^{1-\gamma}_{f} - V^{1-\gamma}_{i} \right] [/tex].

Also, i believe to have heard that the assumption used for the derivation ([itex]W = -P \Delta V[/itex]) is due to the assumption that the process is quasi-static, how does that work exactly?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whoops, never mind, the derivation uses [itex] W = -P dV [/itex] for an infinitesimal change, that makes sense, but I'd still like some more info on what a quasi-static process means and where in the derivation it's used.

What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is one in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that any change in the system's internal energy is solely due to work done on or by the system.

How is work done in an adiabatic process calculated?

The work done in an adiabatic process can be calculated using the equation W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This equation assumes that the pressure remains constant during the process.

What is the relationship between work and internal energy in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, all the work done is converted into changes in the system's internal energy. This is because there is no heat transfer, so any change in the system's energy must be due to work.

Can work done for an adiabatic process be negative?

Yes, work done for an adiabatic process can be negative. This occurs when the system does work on its surroundings, meaning that the internal energy of the system decreases.

What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some examples of adiabatic processes in everyday life include the compression of a gas in a bicycle pump, the expansion of a gas in a car engine, and the compression of air in a scuba tank. In all these processes, there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings.