Why can the potential energy at any point be chosen to have any value?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the work done when pulling a chain of mass M back to the surface from a position where 1/3 of its length L is hanging from the top. The formula for work, W=F.d, is mentioned, but there is a disagreement on whether the force -Mg is constant during the pull and the role of the chain's center of mass (COM) in the solution. It is eventually concluded that the height of the table is irrelevant in determining potential gravitational energy and the formula dW=-Mgdx/3 is used to integrate from 0 to L/6 to find that the work done is W=-MgL/18. However, there is a mistake in the
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A chain of mass M is placed on a smooth table with 1/3 of its length L hanging from the top. The work done I’m pulling the chain back to surface is?
Relevant Equations
W=F.d
The force is -Mg and distance is L/3. So W=-MgL/3. Not right!
Maybe it’s done using COM but there is no additional information is given.

Physics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
Homework Statement:: A chain of mass M is placed on a smooth table with 1/3 of its length L hanging from the top. The work done I’m pulling the chain back to surface is?
Relevant Equations:: W=F.d

The force is -Mg and distance is L/3.
Is the force -Mg during the entire pull?

Als, is it -Mg from the beginning even? If most of the chain is on the table that part will be supported by the table.

Orodruin said:
Is the force -Mg during the entire pull?
O yes you are right. Do we have to use integral?

rudransh verma said:
O yes you are right. Do we have to use integral?
You could, but you certainly do not have to. What is the potential gravitational energy before/after the pull?

Orodruin said:
What is the potential gravitational energy before/after the pull?
That is not easy to tell. Sum of all the PE of elements of 1/3 chain will be initial PE of the 1/3 part and after the chain is on the table its Mg(height of the table)/3.
Is it Mg(height of the table)/3?

The height of the table is irrelevant since the L/3 of the chain is hanging freely. I suggest drawing a picture of the before and after situations if you are having trouble visualizing.

Orodruin said:
The height of the table is irrelevant since the L/3 of the chain is hanging freely.
You asked about PE. So its measured from the ground. Height is important. But I don't think its going to solve like that since height is not given.

Orodruin said:
The height of the table is irrelevant since the L/3 of the chain is hanging freely. I suggest drawing a picture of the before and after situations if you are having trouble visualizing.
MgL/18 by taking COM raising it a length L/6.

Attachments

• hgkkhgufhgjh.png
    hgkkhgufhgjh.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 74
Likes Delta2 and Chestermiller
You cannot use the COM logic here because the chain is not a rigid body, it changes shape as it moves.

Delta2 said:
You cannot use the COM logic here because the chain is not a rigid body, it changes shape as it moves.
How can we do it without the COM concept?

Well @Orodruin is trying to guide you into it. I don't know is I should interfere because I have another way in my mind

Oh well here it goes:
Work does only the weight of the part of the chain that is hanging (which part is different in length as time passes) (why is that can't you think of a reason? More specifically why the supported part (the part that is on the table) does no work with its weight?)

Assume ##x## is the length of the chain that is hanging (at a time t). What is the infinitesimal work ##dW## that the weight of this length ##x## does as it moves ##dx##?

Integrate ##dW## (w.r.t ##x##) to get the total work ##W##

Delta2 said:
I disagree.
rudransh verma said:
You asked about PE. So its measured from the ground. Height is important. But I don't think its going to solve like that since height is not given.
No, it is not relevant. Potential gravitational energy can be measured relative to any reference point you choose. This will not affect potential differences, which is all that is actually physical.
rudransh verma said:
MgL/18 by taking COM raising it a length L/6.
The COM of what?

Likes russ_watters
Orodruin said:
I disagree.
Yes well it depends on what you disagree. The chain is not a rigid body (I hope you don't disagree on that) but yes maybe we can use the COM logic. I wasn't very sure when I was writing that that anyway my way doesn't use COM logic for this problem.

Delta2 said:
Yes well it depends on what you disagree. The chain is not a rigid body (I hope you don't disagree on that) but yes maybe we can use the COM logic. I wasn't very sure when I was writing that that anyway my way doesn't use COM logic for this problem.
Well, the chain is clearly not a rigid body. However, COM methods work perfectly fine.

Likes phinds and Delta2
I get ##mgL/18## with my way too.

Orodruin said:
Potential gravitational energy can be measured relative to any reference point you choose.
let's take the potential energy of COM before the pull as zero. Then the final potential energy is MgL/18 which is the work done to lift it up i think.

Likes hutchphd
Orodruin said:
This will not affect potential differences, which is all that is actually physical.
What do you mean?

Delta2 said:
Assume x is the length of the chain that is hanging (at a time t). What is the infinitesimal work dW that the weight of this length x does as it moves dx?

Integrate dW (w.r.t x) to get the total work
##dW=-Mgdx/3##
Now integrating from 0 to L/6 we get
##\int_{0}^{L/6} -Mg/3 \, dx##
##W=-MgL/18##

rudransh verma said:
What do you mean?
If you are standing on the ground and you lift a 10lb barbell up 2 feet over your head, you've done a certain amount of work. Call it W.

If you are standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower and you lift the same barbell the same amount over your head, how much work do you have to do?

Likes rudransh verma
phinds said:
how much work do you have to do?
W

Likes Delta2
Right. So I assume that you now see why the height of the table is irrelevant in this problem, yes?

I notice a pattern in your questions and answers. You seem intent on blindly fitting things into formulae without trying to figure out what the formulae MEAN

rudransh verma said:
##dW=-Mgdx/3##
Now integrating from 0 to L/6 we get
##\int_{0}^{L/6} -Mg/3 \, dx##
##W=-MgL/18##
Nope you have gone wrong here. The formula you give for dW is wrong and also the boundaries of integration are wrong.

Lets start from the easy stuff. Remember ##x## is the length of chain hanging (NOT the position of the COM) and the chain initially hanging is ##L/3## and at the final position is 0, what do you think the boundaries should be?

phinds said:
Right. So I assume that you now see why the height of the table is irrelevant in this problem, yes?
So there is no place where PE is actually zero. I thought on ground its zero.
I think you are right since if we place the ball on ground and dig under it it will fall into the hole which means its PE was not actually zero. It has the potential to fall continuously to the core of the earth.Right?
phinds said:
I notice a pattern in your questions and answers. You seem intent on blindly fitting things into formulae without trying to figure out what the formulae MEAN
Like when?

Delta2 said:
Nope you have gone wrong here. The formula you give for dW is wrong and also the boundaries of integration are wrong.
Why is my way wrong? I took the COM position as zero and final position as L/6. I applied your concept. Now I think we don't have to apply Integration at all since the force does not vary. Just take the initial PE=0 and take the difference of PE. (Mg(L/6-0))/3

rudransh verma said:
So there is no place where PE is actually zero. I thought on ground its zero.
I think you are right since if we place the ball on ground and dig under it it will fall into the hole which means its PE was not actually zero. It has the potential to fall continuously to the core of the earth.Right?
Not quite right. You can choose the potential to be zero anywhere you want. That does not affect the difference in potential energy when an object is displaced by a certain amount. Perhaps you are under the impression that potential energy can only be positive. It can be positive or negative.

Example: You have a well of depth ##h## below the ground. You have a rock at ground level which you drop into the well.
Case I: Choose the zero of potential energy at the bottom of the well.
Initial potential energy: ##U_i=+mgh##
Final potential energy: ##U_{\!f}=0##
Change in potential energy = ##\Delta U=U_{\!f}-U_i=0-mgh=-mgh.##

Case II: Choose the zero of potential energy at ground level.
Initial potential energy: ##U_i=0##
Final potential energy: ##U_{\!f}=-mgh##
Change in potential energy = ##\Delta U=U_{\!f}-U_i=-mgh-0=-mgh.##

It's the change that matters.

Likes rudransh verma
rudransh verma said:
Why is my way wrong? I took the COM position as zero and final position as L/6. I applied your concept. Now I think we don't have to apply Integration at all since the force does not vary. Just take the initial PE=0 and take the difference of PE. (Mg(L/6-0))/3
You have blend in your mind my method and the COM method. My method doesn't use COM position, forget COM at all. ##x## is the length of the hanging part which varies from L/3 to 0 as the chain moves. Read again post #11 more carefully please.

Delta2 said:
x is the length of the hanging part which varies from L/3 to 0 as the chain move
dW=-Mgdx/3 but the mass M is varying with respect to x. I think we need the function M(x). What do you say?

Likes Delta2
Much better, It is actually M(x)gdx, now what do you think M(x) is? We can assume that the mass of the chain is homogeneously distributed.

Delta2 said:
Much better, It is actually M(x)gdx, now what do you think M(x) is? We can assume that the mass of the chain is homogeneously distributed.
##m(x)=Mx/L##
##dW=-Mgxdx/L##
Taking limit from -L/3 to 0
we get ##W=MgL/18##

Likes Delta2
That's great you did it fine. Now one last question remains. Why do you think only the weight of the hanging chain does work (and not the weight of the part of the chain that is supported by the table)?

Delta2 said:
That's great you did it fine. Now one last question remains. Why do you think only the weight of the hanging chain does work (and not the weight of the part of the chain that is supported by the table)?
How can it ? The part of chain is at rest.

In the solution above there is no -ve sign. It should have.

rudransh verma said:
The part of chain is at rest
No it isn't at rest, it moves horizontally, while the hanging part moves vertically...

It is a convention if we should take the work of weight as positive or negative.

Delta2 said:
No it isn't at rest, it moves horizontally, while the hanging part moves vertically...
Actually I took the hanging end and placed it on top of the table. That’s how I did work.

That's another way of putting the chain back at the table than I had in my mind but ok the work of weight should remain the same as my way since weight is a conservative force.

Now that I think of it, that's the advantage of the COM/potential energy method, over my method, that there you can say that the work only depends on the potential energy of the initial and final position and not in the way that you put the chain back in table.

• Love
Likes rudransh verma
<h2>1. Why is it important to be able to choose the potential energy at any point?</h2><p>Being able to choose the potential energy at any point is important because it allows us to set a reference point for measuring potential energy. This reference point can be chosen based on convenience or to simplify calculations. It also allows us to compare the potential energy at different points and determine the energy difference between them.</p><h2>2. Can the potential energy at any point be negative?</h2><p>Yes, the potential energy at any point can be negative. This typically occurs when the reference point is chosen to be at a higher potential energy than the point in question. Negative potential energy indicates that work must be done to move an object from the reference point to the point in question.</p><h2>3. How does the choice of reference point affect the potential energy of an object?</h2><p>The choice of reference point does not affect the potential energy of an object. The potential energy at any point is determined by the object's position and the chosen reference point only serves as a starting point for measurement.</p><h2>4. Is there a limit to the potential energy that can be chosen at any point?</h2><p>No, there is no limit to the potential energy that can be chosen at any point. As long as the reference point is chosen appropriately and consistently, the potential energy at any point can be assigned any value.</p><h2>5. How does potential energy relate to the concept of conservation of energy?</h2><p>Potential energy is a form of energy that is stored in an object based on its position or configuration. This energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.</p>

1. Why is it important to be able to choose the potential energy at any point?

Being able to choose the potential energy at any point is important because it allows us to set a reference point for measuring potential energy. This reference point can be chosen based on convenience or to simplify calculations. It also allows us to compare the potential energy at different points and determine the energy difference between them.

2. Can the potential energy at any point be negative?

Yes, the potential energy at any point can be negative. This typically occurs when the reference point is chosen to be at a higher potential energy than the point in question. Negative potential energy indicates that work must be done to move an object from the reference point to the point in question.

3. How does the choice of reference point affect the potential energy of an object?

The choice of reference point does not affect the potential energy of an object. The potential energy at any point is determined by the object's position and the chosen reference point only serves as a starting point for measurement.

4. Is there a limit to the potential energy that can be chosen at any point?

No, there is no limit to the potential energy that can be chosen at any point. As long as the reference point is chosen appropriately and consistently, the potential energy at any point can be assigned any value.

5. How does potential energy relate to the concept of conservation of energy?

Potential energy is a form of energy that is stored in an object based on its position or configuration. This energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, but the total amount of energy remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.