Work Done on a Block on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem involves a block with a mass of 18 kg being pushed horizontally up an inclined plane with a force of 150N. The inclined plane has an angle of 32° and a coefficient of friction of 0.10. The block travels a distance of 5m. The work done by the force pushing the block is calculated by taking into account the force parallel to the inclined plane and subtracting the force of friction. The work done by gravity is calculated using the formula Wg=mgsinθ*x. The work done by the normal force is 0 since there is no displacement in that direction. The velocity of the block after moving 5m can be found by using kinetic energy and the net work
gunjay

Homework Statement

A block of mass m=18kg is pushed horizontally with a force of Fp=150N up an inclined plane of angle θ=32° and coefficient of friction of μ=0.10, a distance of x=5m. a) What is the work done by Fp. b) Work done by the gravitational force. c) Work done by the normal force.

Homework Equations

W = ∫Fdl
Force in the same direction as displacement.
or W = F*x

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is how is work affected by friction?
This question is like a part 2 where the first one had no friction and this one does but i don't see how friction gets involved at all.

a) The Fp has 2 components, one that moves parallel to the inclined plane and the other perpendicular to the plane. so Fpx=Fpcosθ. So including friction do i do W = (Fpx-Ff)*x or just W=Fpx*x or ?

b) Wg=∫Fgdx = mgsinθ*x

c) WN=∫FNdx = 0 = there is no displacement in the direction of the normal force.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) You got it with your second equation there. It's irrelevant whether you are fighting against gravity, friction, or little green men pushing back in the opposite direction. Work is work.

b) and c) You got it. Friction only causes the block to accelerate slower.

I believe i found the answer.
There was a part d that i thought didn't apply but it did. d) asks for the velocity of the block after it moves those 5m. Using KE= net W i was able to find an answer using friction that also seems plausible.

1. What is work done on a block on an inclined plane?

The work done on a block on an inclined plane is the product of the force applied on the block and the distance the block moves along the inclined plane in the direction of the force.

2. How is the work done on a block on an inclined plane calculated?

The work done on a block on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the distance the block moves, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

3. What factors affect the work done on a block on an inclined plane?

The work done on a block on an inclined plane is affected by the applied force, the distance the block moves, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion. The weight of the block and the coefficient of friction between the block and the inclined plane also play a role.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the work done on a block?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the work done on a block by changing the direction of the applied force. As the angle increases, the force required to move the block along the inclined plane also increases, resulting in more work being done.

5. Can the work done on a block on an inclined plane be negative?

Yes, the work done on a block on an inclined plane can be negative if the applied force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions. This means that the force is acting against the motion of the block, resulting in negative work being done.