Understanding Work, Energy, and Displacement in a Spring System

In summary, the conversation is discussing Problem 3 ai and identifying external forces acting on the SB system. The hint suggests two forces, but it is clarified that the only external force is from the wall. The question of whether the wall or the string does work is also addressed, with the conclusion that the string does positive work while the wall does zero work. The conversation also touches on the use of conservation of energy for net external work and clarifies the distinction between work done on a system and work done by a system.
Joe Armas

Homework Statement

In the pictures.

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2.
PE = 1/2kx^2
Work external = Delta KE + Delta PE
W = F* d

The Attempt at a Solution

In the pictures.Comments:

On Problem 3 ai, I am not sure whether I have identified the correct horizontal forces. The hint gave two, but I believe there could also be a force that the wall exerts on the spring.

I am also not sure which way the force points when a spring is stretched and extended. I believe it is in the direction of the equilibrium unextended position. Please let me know if my answers/reasoning is correct. Thank you.
2q1c97a.jpg

2a5akqv.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joe Armas said:
On Problem 3 ai, I am not sure whether I have identified the correct horizontal forces. The hint gave two, but I believe there could also be a force that the wall exerts on the spring.
They want you to identify the forces acting on the SB system from outside that system. Is the force between spring and block such a force?

Bear in mind that forces always occur in pairs: an action and an equal and opposite reaction. You can't exert a force on anything if it doesn't push back.

I see, so the force on the spring by the block is equal and opposite to the force by the block on the spring?. So is what I have for 3 a i correct?

haruspex said:
They want you to identify the forces acting on the SB system from outside that system. Is the force between spring and block such a force?
No, correct? The only force that I can see is the wall.

Joe Armas said:
No, correct? The only force that I can see is the wall.
That's right, the external forces are from string and wall.

haruspex said:
That's right, the external forces are from string and wall.

The wall does zero work while the String does positive work right? Since displacement and force is in the same direction?

Joe Armas said:
The wall does zero work while the String does positive work right? Since displacement and force is in the same direction?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Ok thanks for the help. Do you see any discrepancies on the back side?

Joe Armas said:
Ok thanks for the help. Do you see any discrepancies on the back side?
Have another think about a iv. This is the work done by external forces on SB.

It should be positive right? The string does positive work while work does negative work. But why is the work net external not equal to delta potential energy here?

haruspex said:
Have another think about a iv. This is the work done by external forces on SB.
What situations can we use conservation of energy for net external work?

Joe Armas said:
What situations can we use conservation of energy for net external work?
No, I'm suggesting you need to distinguish between work done on a system and and work done by a system. They have opposite signs.

The system gains potential energy because the spring is stretched. Isn't Wnet external equal to - delta PE? So it would be indeed be negative? That was my reasoning and it makes sense.

system gains PE because spring is stretched (spring PE is always positive, like KE is always positive).
but no, Wnet,external (positive) is where that Energy comes from that is stored in the spring as PE (positive).

Joe Armas said:
The system gains potential energy because the spring is stretched. Isn't Wnet external equal to - delta PE? So it would be indeed be negative? That was my reasoning and it makes sense.
Work done on the system equals gain of work by the system. Both positive in this case.

FAQ: Understanding Work, Energy, and Displacement in a Spring System

What is work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. This means that work is done when a force causes an object to move.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F x d.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. It comes in many forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and chemical energy.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in an object's position from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How are work, energy, and displacement related?

Work is directly related to energy, as it is the transfer of energy from one object to another. Displacement is also related to work, as a greater displacement requires more work to be done. Additionally, the work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

Back