1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work & kinetic energy problem

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    The human brain consumes about 21.9 W of power under normal conditions, though more power may be required during exams. How long can one Snickers bar (280 cal per bar) power the normally functioning brain?[/B] (Note: The nutritional calorie, 1 Cal, is equivalent to 1000 calories (1000 cal) as defined in physics. In addition, the conversion factor between calories and joules is as follows: 1 Cal = 1000 cal = 1 kcal = 4186 J.)

I keep getting the answer 53.52 seconds after I do the conversion and use the formula P = W/t

However, 53.52 seconds isnt the correct answer (LON CAPA did not accept it), anyone else have any ideas on this one?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    You did the problem almost correctly. Read carefully that a food calorie is actually 1000 calories.

Also, think about the 53.52 seconds for a brain to run on a snickers bar; you'd need to eat about 60 of them just to make it through an exam at that rate :) The actual answer makes more sense.
  4. Sep 30, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are off by an order of magnitude. How many Joules of energy is stored in that Snickers bar?
  5. Sep 30, 2006 #4
    thanks so much, you guys really helped me out! I knew it didn't make sense, but I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?