1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work of Friction Done Opposing Force at an Angle

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ben does 600J of work pushing a 55kg cart 5m in the +x direction by applying a force at a downward angle of 30° to the direction of displacement. If the coefficient of kinetic friction μκ is equal to 0.1, find:

• The magnitude of the applied force.
    • The work done by the force of friction on the cart.

2. Relevant equations

W = Fd
    Work of friction = -μκ(mg + Fsinθ)d
    Work in x direction = Fcosθ

3. The attempt at a solution

The magnitude of the applied force:

W = Fd
    600 = F(5)
    F = 120N

The work done by friction:

Wopp = -μκ(mg + Fsinθ)d
    Wopp = -0.1(55*10 + 120sin30°)(5)
    Wopp = -305J

----------------------------------------------

Is it right? I have an undying feeling that it is correct; however, the student teacher that teaches my class substituted the initial W = Fd with W = Fdcosθ. That would only give you the force in the x direction, and then the force of friction found in the second part would be incorrect, right?

Help me out, please. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Teacher is correct, there is no work being done in the y direction because there is no displacemnt in the y direction. For constant force, Work is equal to the product of the force times the displacement in the direction of the force (W=Fdcostheta). (Or you could say, Work is equal to the component of the force in the direction of the displacement time the displacement...W = Fcostheta(d)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook