1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working backwards

1. Aug 31, 2006 #1
    I've taken Calculus 1, but it was a few years ago, so bear with me. I understand how to use derivitaves to find critical numbers, relative max's and min's, points of inflections, incresing, decreasing. all that good stuff.

my question is, if I have two points I want a x^3 line pass through, how can i accomplish this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

y = x3 is a curve, not a line.
    I don't really get what you mean. y = x3 is a specific curve, i.e you cannot change the set of points that it passes through.
    If you want to get 2 points on the curve, just choose 2 arbitrary x1, and x2 values, then from there find the corresponding y1, and y2. And you'll have 2 points that the curve passes through.

4. Aug 31, 2006 #3
    no, i want to MODIFY a x^3 equation to MAKE it pass through the points i already have set.

5. Aug 31, 2006 #4
    the first point is 0,0, and the 2nd point could be anything, how to i alter the curve to make it pass through my 2nd point?

6. Aug 31, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're trying to curve-fit a cubic to some known data set.

Look up cubic spline interpolation. Numerical Recipes in C has a section on it, with the algorithm coded in C.

http://www.library.cornell.edu/nr/cbookcpdf.html

If you only have two points, one of which is (0, 0) and the other is (x0, y0), just solve this equation for a:

[itex]a x_0^3 = y_0[/itex]

- Warren

7. Sep 3, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are many different ways to do this. For example, as chroot said, if you want a formula of the form y= ax3, which necessarily passes through (0,0) for all a, just select a so that y0= ax3: That is [tex]y= \left(\frac{y_0}{x_0^3}\right)x^3[/tex] passes through (0,0) and (x0,y0).

Or, you could alter y= x3 to look like y= x3+ ax. In order to have y= y0 when x= x0 we must have [itex]y_0= x_0^3+ ax_0[/itex] or, solving for a, [itex]a= \frac{y_0- x_0^3}{x_0}[/itex]. That is, the graph of [itex]y= x^3+ \frac{y_0- x_0^3}{x_0}x[/itex] passes through (0,0) and (x0,y0). There are many other possiblities. The choice is essentially arbitrary unless you have other conditions to fulfill.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  8. Sep 7, 2006 #7
    well....i guess I've forgotten a lot of calculus...what does the I in those equations stand for? Integral?

9. Sep 8, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? What I are you talking about? Which response does this relate to?

10. Sep 8, 2006 #9
    nevermind...the X's in those equations look like I's...

that's retarded

11. Sep 8, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mm... that's how all x's are typeset in every math book I've ever seen.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?