Working through 'Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus'. Looking for problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties and enjoyment of working through Hestenes' and Sobczyk's book on Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus, and the request for additional problems to supplement the book. One suggestion for a more understandable book is "Geometric Algebra for Physicists" by Doran and Lasenby, with notes and software available on GitHub.
Mike706
Hello,

I'm currently working through Hestenes' and Sobczyk's book "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus." It has been slow reading because of the many skipped steps in his derivations (I'm not saying that's a bad thing), but I am rather enjoying GA/GC so far. I work through all of the derivations, but unfortunately the book has no exercises. Does anyone know where I could find some good problems that would complement the book? Proof/derivation type problems or coordinate-based computations would both be great.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Problems in GA

Hestenes book is very dense. You might consider (less dense more understandable)

Geometric Algebra for Physcists by Doran and Lasenby

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521715954/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have notes and software that I based on the book at

https://github.com/brombo/GA

In the notes I tried to fill in the missing steps in D&L's derivations.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the main focus of "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus"?

The main focus of "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the mathematical concepts and applications of Clifford algebras and geometric calculus. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is the difference between traditional calculus and geometric calculus?

Traditional calculus is based on real and complex numbers, while geometric calculus is based on Clifford algebras, which extend the traditional number systems. Geometric calculus allows for the manipulation of multi-dimensional objects, making it useful for applications in higher dimensions.

What kind of problems can be solved using geometric calculus?

Geometric calculus can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields, including differential equations, optimization, geometry, and physics. It is particularly useful for problems involving multi-dimensional objects and non-Euclidean spaces.

How can "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus" be applied in the real world?

The concepts and techniques learned in "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus" can be applied in many practical applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for solving complex problems in these fields.

What background knowledge is required to understand "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus"?

A solid foundation in linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations is necessary to understand "Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus". A basic understanding of abstract algebra and geometry is also helpful, but not essential.