1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with Bra and Ket vector notation

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    I have 2 ket vectors that i need to prove are orthogonal and normalised

I know <Up|Down> = <Down|Up> = 0 <---- Orthogonal Condition

I know <Up|Up> = <Down|Down> = 1 <---- Normalisation Condition

My problem is I have 2 ket vectors, say |A> and |B>, containing |Up> and |Down> terms.

How do I put the two ket vectors together? Do i simply put |A>|B> = And multiply the terms?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you put <A|B> (for which you first need to find |B> from <B|). Then use the fact that the inner product <.|.> is bilinear to split everything up in the basis combinations you know equal 0 or 1.

4. Nov 23, 2013 #3
    Thanks that helps alot!

edit how do you turn a ket into a bra? ive been through all my lecture notes, the workshop questions, the suggested book and there's nothing. she does this everytime! sets questions we havent covered and i spent half the day trying to find something vaguely relevant on the internet. found this

"To turn a ket into a bra for purposes of taking inner products, write the complex conjugates of its components as a row."

how am i supposed to take the complex conjugate of a spin up vector?

i'll just write the full thing, please dont give a direct answer, i just need an example of the method or a youtube video of the method to use please

|A> = 1/SQRT2 (|UP>+|DOWN>)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  5. Nov 23, 2013 #4
    OK, i tried it this way:

|A> = 1/SQRT2 |UP> + 1/SQRT2 |DOWN> = (1 0) <----- A 2X1 MATRIX i.e. stood upright

<A| = (<A|^T)* <---- THE TRANSPOSE OF THE COMPLEX CONJUGATE = (1 0)

THERFORE

<A|A> = (1 0)(1 0) = 1 <---- WHERE (1 0) IS A 2X1 MATRIX i.e. stood upright

Therefore normalised

<A|B> = (1 0)(0 1) = 0 <---- WHERE (0 1) IS A 2X1 MATRIX i.e. stood upright

Therefore orthogonal

that look right? dont know what happens to the 1/SQRT2 though??!?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. Nov 24, 2013 #5
    when you take the complex conjugate of the Ket |A>, you take the conjugate of the 1/sqrt2 and flip the kets into bras. So |A>=(1/sqrt2)(|up>+|down>)
    <A|=|A>*

<A|=(1/sqrt2)*(|up>+|down>)*=(1/sqrt2)*(<up|+<down|)=(1/sqrt2)(<up|+<down|)

where * denotes the complex conjugate, which doesn't affect real numbers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted