Working with Bra and Ket vector notation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove two ket vectors, |A> and |B>, are orthogonal and normalized. The process involves using the inner product <.|.> and the fact that it is bilinear, as well as converting kets into bras by taking the complex conjugate of the components and writing them as a row. The resulting calculations show that the vectors are orthogonal and normalized.
rwooduk
I have 2 ket vectors that i need to prove are orthogonal and normalised

I know <Up|Down> = <Down|Up> = 0 <---- Orthogonal Condition

I know <Up|Up> = <Down|Down> = 1 <---- Normalisation Condition

My problem is I have 2 ket vectors, say |A> and |B>, containing |Up> and |Down> terms.

How do I put the two ket vectors together? Do i simply put |A>|B> = And multiply the terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you put <A|B> (for which you first need to find |B> from <B|). Then use the fact that the inner product <.|.> is bilinear to split everything up in the basis combinations you know equal 0 or 1.

Likes 1 person
Thanks that helps alot!

edit how do you turn a ket into a bra? I've been through all my lecture notes, the workshop questions, the suggested book and there's nothing. she does this everytime! sets questions we haven't covered and i spent half the day trying to find something vaguely relevant on the internet. found this

"To turn a ket into a bra for purposes of taking inner products, write the complex conjugates of its components as a row."

how am i supposed to take the complex conjugate of a spin up vector?

i'll just write the full thing, please don't give a direct answer, i just need an example of the method or a youtube video of the method to use please

|A> = 1/SQRT2 (|UP>+|DOWN>)

Last edited:
OK, i tried it this way:

|A> = 1/SQRT2 |UP> + 1/SQRT2 |DOWN> = (1 0) <----- A 2X1 MATRIX i.e. stood upright

<A| = (<A|^T)* <---- THE TRANSPOSE OF THE COMPLEX CONJUGATE = (1 0)

THERFORE

<A|A> = (1 0)(1 0) = 1 <---- WHERE (1 0) IS A 2X1 MATRIX i.e. stood upright

Therefore normalised

<A|B> = (1 0)(0 1) = 0 <---- WHERE (0 1) IS A 2X1 MATRIX i.e. stood upright

Therefore orthogonal

that look right? don't know what happens to the 1/SQRT2 though??!?

Last edited:
when you take the complex conjugate of the Ket |A>, you take the conjugate of the 1/sqrt2 and flip the kets into bras. So |A>=(1/sqrt2)(|up>+|down>)
<A|=|A>*

<A|=(1/sqrt2)*(|up>+|down>)*=(1/sqrt2)*(<up|+<down|)=(1/sqrt2)(<up|+<down|)

where * denotes the complex conjugate, which doesn't affect real numbers

1. What is Bra and Ket vector notation?

Bra and Ket vector notation is a mathematical notation commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It uses the symbols ⟨ and ⟩ to represent the bra and ket vectors, respectively.

2. How do I read and interpret Bra and Ket vectors?

The bra vector ⟨a⟩ represents the dual vector or the complex conjugate of the ket vector ⟩a⟩. It is read as "bra a" and the corresponding ket vector is read as "ket a". The inner product of a bra and ket vector ⟨a⟩ and ⟩b⟩ is represented as ⟨a|b⟩ and is read as "the inner product of ket a and bra b".

3. What are the advantages of using Bra and Ket vector notation?

Bra and Ket vector notation has several advantages, including its ability to represent vectors and operators in a concise and elegant manner, its compatibility with linear algebra operations, and its usefulness in solving complex quantum mechanics problems.

4. Can Bra and Ket vectors be combined and manipulated?

Yes, Bra and Ket vectors can be combined and manipulated using various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow the same rules as those used in linear algebra.

5. Are there any alternative notations for representing vectors and operators in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are alternative notations such as Dirac notation and matrix notation. However, Bra and Ket vector notation is the most commonly used notation due to its simplicity and compatibility with linear algebra operations.