Worried that I might fail Physics 1

In summary: Try looking for a different one.What has worked for me in my physics classes is practicing the assigned problems until I can solve *ALL* of them without glancing at the solutions. This means grabbing the pen and paper and working through each problem over and over until you can do the problems in your sleep. If you can do that, then you certainly will not fail the test.
Astrometry
Hello,

I am in such disbelief right now, so disappointed in myself. I've failed two of my physics midterms and we only have one midterm left before the final. I've studied for both and I thought I knew what I was doing, but apparently not. The class average for both tests have been a 75%, C+ according to the professor's grading scale. I've literally bombed the last two exams..

The professor gives us a study guide before the test and provides the answers, but the study guides don't seem to help. I understand the concepts, but it's applying them that I seem to have trouble with. Plus, the professor isn't really that great and he goes kind of fast because about half of the students in there are engineering students who have taken the course before, but just need a review on it or something like that.

Plus, the book we use isn't that great: Physics for Scientists & Engineers, Serway, 9th edition. The other thing I hate is that the professor makes the exams multiple choice and it makes me frustrated.

I'm a physics major and it seems like this class is extremely difficult, especially for a physics 1 course that is calculus based. I really don't want to change my major because I love physics with a passion, but apparently I just can't do it. I still have an A- in the class because of the labs and group work and stuff; which I don't see how because the tests are a killer.

I'm in Calculus right now and I'm doing just fine in that class, I currently have an A, but we've barely used calculus in my physics class. (Only a few times to derive equations and such but that's about it.)

Sorry if my post is somewhat disorganized, but any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So what exactly are you asking for here?

Please note that if you can't apply you "understanding" to solve problems, you really haven't understood it beyond just a superficial level. Assuming that you have a good command of mathematics ( which apparently you do based on your calculus class) then you need to figure out why you can't do well in the exams.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So what exactly are you asking for here?

Please note that if you can't apply you "understanding" to solve problems, you really haven't understood it beyond just a superficial level. Assuming that you have a good command of mathematics ( which apparently you do based on your calculus class) then you need to figure out why you can't do well in the exams.

Zz.

That's my problem. I can't figure out why.. I can do the math, but it may be the concepts or something. I plan on talking to my professor tomorrow because he wants people to talk to him about the test if we did poorly.

If you still have an A- due to lab work and such, you're in a good place. How do you study for exams? Are you re-reading the book/lecture notes or are you solving problems?

Sentin3l said:
If you still have an A- due to lab work and such, you're in a good place. How do you study for exams? Are you re-reading the book/lecture notes or are you solving problems?

I'm doing both -- re-reading my lecture notes and solving problems.

I know that if I still have an A- in the class that I'm in a good place, but it still upsets me that I did poorly on two exams.

Astrometry said:

I know that if I still have an A- in the class that I'm in a good place, but it still upsets me that I did poorly on two exams.

I would definitely talk to the professor then. Maybe you are missing some key concept.

I just came across this post, man what a relief (sorry). I am in the same boat right now, taking physics I as a 4-week summer course, concurrently with calc 8-week. I failed my 2nd physics midterm, it feels awful, especially because calc is a piece of cake. I don't understand what's going wrong here. I would love to hear how it ended up for you, and any advice you would have given yourself halfway through your semester of physics I.

Astrometry said:

Are you just looking at the problems or are you actually SOLVING them?

What has worked for me in my physics classes is practicing the assigned problems until I can solve *ALL* of them without glancing at the solutions. This means grabbing the pen and paper and working through each problem over and over until you can do the problems in your sleep. If you can do that, then you certainly will not fail the test.

Edit: Just realized the age of this post... But the advice still holds

jbrussell93 said:
Are you just looking at the problems or are you actually SOLVING them?

What has worked for me in my physics classes is practicing the assigned problems until I can solve *ALL* of them without glancing at the solutions. This means grabbing the pen and paper and working through each problem over and over until you can do the problems in your sleep. If you can do that, then you certainly will not fail the test.

Edit: Just realized the age of this post... But the advice still holds

This approach is good but it may not work for everyone. I can solve a problem only once, and remember the solution for months or years. Repeating the same problems over and over might be a dangerous approach. Exam questions are always different (and harder) than homework/tutorial questions.

I think it might be helpful to explore alternative resources and explanations to the covered material. Sometimes lecturers assume that the students already know things and therefore present (seemingly) poor explanations. Or sometimes the lecturer might just teach on a level that is too high for the class, without really realizing it.

1. What are some tips for studying for Physics 1?

Some tips for studying for Physics 1 include practicing problems regularly, seeking help from classmates or a tutor when needed, creating study guides or summaries, and utilizing online resources such as lecture notes and practice exams.

2. How should I approach difficult concepts in Physics 1?

When facing difficult concepts in Physics 1, it can be helpful to break them down into smaller parts and try to understand each part individually before putting them together. It can also be beneficial to discuss the concepts with classmates or a professor to gain different perspectives and clarify any confusion.

3. What if I am struggling in Physics 1 even after studying?

If you are struggling in Physics 1 even after studying, it may be helpful to seek additional help from a tutor or attend review sessions offered by your professor. It is also important to communicate with your professor and ask for clarification on any topics you are struggling with.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while studying for Physics 1?

Time management is crucial when studying for Physics 1. It can be helpful to create a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize studying for exams and quizzes, and eliminate distractions while studying to make the most of your study time.

5. What if I fail Physics 1?

Failing a course can be a difficult and discouraging experience, but it is important to remember that it is not the end of the world. If you do fail Physics 1, you can retake the course and use what you have learned from your previous attempt to improve. It is also important to seek support from friends, family, and academic advisors to help you succeed in the course.